Transferring Ugrad to Ugrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MooSuga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question:

My current college doesn't offer any vet courses but I did find a college that offers a BA vet tech program and pre-vet.

Question is should I transfer to that school in hopes that it will help me in the long run? Plus if I do transfer into that school it will be my 3rd transfer. Originally, I went to a community college and then transferred onto a 4 years college which is where I am now. But since I found a college near my home that offers the major that I want. But will my record of transferring to one school to another hurt my application??

Or is it better to stay where I currently am?

One major difference is the tuition. Currently I pay 4k a year but if I transfer to a private then my tuition will be 14k.

Any help guys?? Thanks....I just need some helpful insight/opinons

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have all of the prerequisite courses, even though it doesn't have a 'pre-vet' program? If so, there's really no need at all to transfer. People get in with all majors (English, History, Biology, Foreign languages, Art) as long as they have the right courses take.

Vet school's going to be expensive. I'd save your money/debt for that!

There's no reason so switch so long as you can take all the prerequisite classes at a good 4-year accredited school. You don't need to be a vet tech OR get a "pre-vet" degree. Save your money and the hassle!

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh, your advice is like music to my ears.

I'm literally banging my head with the different dilemmas I facing to get the requirements for vet school. I just wanted to sit in the middle of my floor and just cry and throw a tantrum like a child.

I am not interested in any other major other than things dealing with vet issues. I have enough credits to minor in accounting but I do not know what I should do as a major since I am only in my sophomore year of Ugrad. In a way I kinda want to pick a nonsense major just so I can finish up. But at the same time, I dont want it to bite my in my ass when I get rejected from vet school like 12 times. (hoping it wont come to that)

If you don't want to do a Bio major, my advice would be to major in something you think is incredibly interesting. I LOVE that I got a degree in Linguistics, because seriously, when else am I going to have the chance to study language like that?

Undergrad will be your last chance to take courses just because the subject's interesting - embrace that!

Also, accounting would be an asset to a vet. The business side of things isn't always heavily gone over in vet school, and a lot of vets own or want to own practices. Anything in that area can only help you out, if you're going into private practice.

I know that having an accounting degree will definitely help the business side of running a private practice. but it's incredible boring.

Before desiring to be a vet, I desired to be an accountant. But I am a bit afraid my lack of interest in accounting will affect my grades and therefore dimrinish the chances of vet school.

Well...no one said it was gonna be easy. And you wouldnt appreciate where you are without any obstacles. I guess, I should just see it through. In the end it would definitely be worth it!

I personally wouldn't change. From what I have seen vet tech programs are more for people wanting to become vet techs. I have looked into a few and you usually are only required 1 or 2 bio classes, they are not really geared toward pre vet students. As long as you school offers the required pre reqs I think you should be fine.

I would definitely not go into a vet tech program. I don't think it's a good way to get accepted into veterinary school - tech programs generally don't provide you with the prerequisites you need to gain acceptance, and I just don't see the benefit of going into a tech program vs getting a degree in biology or animal sciences or anything else.

If I were you, I'd look at my interests and major in something there. Check out the courses you've enjoyed most over the past year or two and start feeling out those programs. While you're doing that, take a few courses each semester that you need to get into vet school. Make sure you get in plenty of upper level sciences. Even upper levels that aren't required show that you're a good student who can handle higher level coursework.

I know you say you're only interested in vet med right now, but with no real science coursework under your belt and very little experience, you can't honestly say it's the only only thing you want to do. So don't transfer to another school where you're unsure of the program. If you're happy at your school, stay there and find a program you like. If you're not happy with your school, then that's a different story and you might look into programs that are a better fit. Basically, though, do something you enjoy and can excel in. :)

Any chance you're talking about Fordham? That's the only school in the city that I've seen that offers specifically "pre-vet", and it is private.

Being pre-med is fine. Stay in the CUNY and get everything done. I think it would look worse if you keep college-hopping (dont forget you'll have to explain it all to adcom and make it sound good ;) ), and you may lose credits in the transfers and have to retake classes. Also don't forget that to graduate with a diploma from a school you have to have completed a certain amount of credits at that school, so chances are high that switching for the third time might delay graduation.

I myself an a suny-to-cuny transfer. For the past three years I was an anthropology major and then recently i realized that i'm gonna have to do an awful lot of bio, besides the usual pre-med classes. Unfortunately bio majors have priority to upper bio courses. So i signed up for a double major of bio and anthro and am staying a fifth year to finish it up. My interest in anthropology has left me unfortunately (there was a great anthro program at the suny, but the one at the cuny is awful, i'm just taking it to get over with it). But here we are.

I would definitely not go into a vet tech program. I don't think it's a good way to get accepted into veterinary school - tech programs generally don't provide you with the prerequisites you need to gain acceptance, and I just don't see the benefit of going into a tech program vs getting a degree in biology or animal sciences or anything else.

If I were you, I'd look at my interests and major in something there. Check out the courses you've enjoyed most over the past year or two and start feeling out those programs. While you're doing that, take a few courses each semester that you need to get into vet school. Make sure you get in plenty of upper level sciences. Even upper levels that aren't required show that you're a good student who can handle higher level coursework.

I know you say you're only interested in vet med right now, but with no real science coursework under your belt and very little experience, you can't honestly say it's the only only thing you want to do. So don't transfer to another school where you're unsure of the program. If you're happy at your school, stay there and find a program you like. If you're not happy with your school, then that's a different story and you might look into programs that are a better fit. Basically, though, do something you enjoy and can excel in. :)

thanks a lot, i decided to stay at the school that I am in. You are absolutely right there is no point of transferring school.

Any chance you're talking about Fordham? That's the only school in the city that I've seen that offers specifically "pre-vet", and it is private.

Being pre-med is fine. Stay in the CUNY and get everything done. I think it would look worse if you keep college-hopping (dont forget you'll have to explain it all to adcom and make it sound good ;) ), and you may lose credits in the transfers and have to retake classes. Also don't forget that to graduate with a diploma from a school you have to have completed a certain amount of credits at that school, so chances are high that switching for the third time might delay graduation.

I myself an a suny-to-cuny transfer. For the past three years I was an anthropology major and then recently i realized that i'm gonna have to do an awful lot of bio, besides the usual pre-med classes. Unfortunately bio majors have priority to upper bio courses. So i signed up for a double major of bio and anthro and am staying a fifth year to finish it up. My interest in anthropology has left me unfortunately (there was a great anthro program at the suny, but the one at the cuny is awful, i'm just taking it to get over with it). But here we are.

Actually, I didnt even know that fordham has a pre vet and vet tech program. I googled online and it came back with Mercy College. I was a bit skeptical because I dont even know if it's a good school or not. I dont have any info about the school except for the advertisments in the subways.

I know that SUNY Delphi has a BA for Vet Tech. But its way too far for me, I desire to stay close to NYC because I have a finace. When or if I et accepted to Vet chool then its a different story. I would have to leave.

For some majors CUNY's are great but compare to other school I think their cirriculum is slighty watered-down. One thing that I do worry about is if I get any "poorly rated" teachers for these pre-reqs.

How do people deal with a bad professor when it comes to something important as the bio/chem classes for vet school?

Well if its watered down, then you have higher chances of getting a good grade, right? Adcom doesn't know its watered down.

And I don't know about you, but my CUNY has a lot of courses that are harder than standard. For example, the Bio 100 and 102 courses are known to be a PIA, really hard for a "freshman" course. But my school churns out a ton of pre-meds and nursing students (although not much for pre-vet, I've only met one besides myself).

I think it depends on the CUNY. A lot of people deride the whole school system for being a city university. But while some of them aren't great, others are pretty good. And if you're concerned with which CUNY courses are from, you can always try to sign up for E-Permit and opt to take classes at different schools but have them count toward the degree at your current cuny.

Just in light of your situation and what has been said in other threads I think you probably should consider transferring to a school that at least offers all the pre-req courses you are going to need.

The fact that you still have ~3 years of college left and all of the pre-reqs remaining are pretty good reasons for it. If you were ever asked why, it would be pretty easy to explain that once you realized you wanted to do veterinary medicine, you transfered in order to position yourself to better attack that goal.

And your talking about spending the better part of the next 3 years finishing up an accounting degree when you have no interest in it but your family wants you to I think is going to be bad for you in the long term. You don't have a genuine motivation towards it and it will kill you(and probably your grades and GPA) as you get into the upper level accounting courses.

Just in light of your situation and what has been said in other threads I think you probably should consider transferring to a school that at least offers all the pre-req courses you are going to need.

The fact that you still have ~3 years of college left and all of the pre-reqs remaining are pretty good reasons for it. If you were ever asked why, it would be pretty easy to explain that once you realized you wanted to do veterinary medicine, you transfered in order to position yourself to better attack that goal.

And your talking about spending the better part of the next 3 years finishing up an accounting degree when you have no interest in it but your family wants you to I think is going to be bad for you in the long term. You don't have a genuine motivation towards it and it will kill you(and probably your grades and GPA) as you get into the upper level accounting courses.

You are absolutely right about the accounting part. I really do not have the motivation for it, but at the same time I taking it as a precaution. Also, to make my mother stop nagging me. She desperately wanted me to become an accountant.

But I think accounting does help the business spectrum of a private practice. My target school is U Penn and I know they have joint dual program with a Vet and Business. I'm hoping that when I apply, I can show them that I can qualify.