Transferring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacobyellz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had experience with this, is it possible to transfer from a Caribbean school to a US DO school if one were to get 250+ or 260+ on step 1? And would they just look at this or would they look at undergrad grades and MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro may know

I'm willing to bet they would look at a full application though, not just your step scores.

but please don't go Caribbean.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling that if one were looking to transfer out of the Caribbean, that Step score is outside the realm of probability.

I already am in a Carib school. There is a girl that transferred from my school to a US MD school, but her Step 1 score was in the 270s. I'm just wondering what kind of score it would take on my step to transfer into a DO school? 270 is 100% out of the realm for pretty much all of us. But a 240 is not so Im wondering if that would be good enough for DO if it were possible. I write my step in April btw.

I'm going to quote the TCOM transfer policy which I believe is typical of many schools:

Guidelines for Eligibility

- An applicant who has been dismissed from or has withdrawn from another medical college for academic reasons will NOT be considered for advanced standing.

- An applicant who had previously applied to TCOM for admission as a first year student and was not accepted will be considered for advanced standing only if academic performance in medical school has been distinguished as determined by the Admissions Committee.

- An applicant who has taken all premedical or medical studies in foreign institutions, including the medical schools of the Caribbean region, will NOT be considered for admission in advanced standing.

Applicants from related professions, such as dentistry, or those who have completed the related basic sciences as a graduate or health professional student are considered for admission only to the first year medical class, regardless of degree held.
Transfer requests are rarely successful at U.S. med schools. I am aware of only one (1) transfer student at TCOM.

Reactions: 1 user
Name the US MD school, please.

Dunno mate, all I know is she transferred because she was the top student a few semesters ahead of me, and after taken step, she transferred out of clinicals. Now top trolling and give me some advice if you have any. lol

Dunno mate, all I know is she transferred because she was the top student a few semesters ahead of me, and after taken step, she transferred out of clinicals. Now top trolling and give me some advice if you have any. lol

You mean it didn't happen.

Dude... he just gave you advice via actual information from a school. That is literally the opposite of trolling. The answer is no, sorry.

Sorry man, I posted that before he posted his second response. Yeah I can imagine it being very difficult. But now that I'm thinking about it, would it even be worth it to transfer into a DO school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man, I posted that before he posted his second response. Yeah I can imagine it being very difficult. But now that I'm thinking about it, would it even be worth it to transfer into a DO school?
I dont know what you mean by that? DO schools are US medical schools. They are going to be further introduced into the match in 2020 - meanwhile they are already accepted by a majority of programs, especially in non-competitive specialties. Meanwhile all foreign grads are getting squeezed out. So yea, DO is probably better.

I was saying DO schools don't take Carib transfers. MD schools do.

I dont know what you mean by that? DO schools are US medical schools. They are going to be further introduced into the match in 2020 - meanwhile they are already accepted by a majority of programs, especially in non-competitive specialties. Meanwhile all foreign grads are getting squeezed out. So yea, DO is probably better.

Yeah but having to go from MD to DO. I mean thats going to have to take some getting used to. How did you learn to live with that?

Yeah but having to go from MD to DO. I mean thats going to have to take some getting used to. How did you learn to live with that?
I'm saying you can't go MD to DO. It isn't allowed. DO schools do not take MD transfers, from any institution US or otherwise. The schools I posted were LCME accredited MD schools, which do take foreign transfers. You can't just hop into DO school at year 3 after having learned zero manipulation, and you aren't eligible to take our board exam (the COMLEX) to even be eligible to go on rotations. You could get literally every question right on the USMLE and legally, no DO school could take you as a transfer because you cannot enter rotations without first passing the COMLEX, a test you're not even allowed to take.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm saying you can't go MD to DO. It isn't allowed. DO schools do not take MD transfers, from any institution US or otherwise. The schools I posted were LCME accredited MD schools, which do take foreign transfers. You can't just hop into DO school at year 3 after having learned zero manipulation, and you aren't eligible to take our board exam (the COMLEX) to even be eligible to go on rotations. You could get literally every question right on the USMLE and legally, no DO school could take you as a transfer because you cannot enter rotations without first passing the COMLEX, a test you're not even allowed to take.

Haha you actually can't be serious. An MD school would take a carib grad, but a DO school won't? Because of a bunch of "osteopathic" techniques that you learn in school? Whats next, Reiki schools taking over the world? SMH.

Haha you actually can't be serious. An MD school would take a carib grad, but a DO school won't? Because of a bunch of "osteopathic" techniques that you learn in school? Whats next, Reiki schools taking over the world? SMH.
It's a legal thing dude. You're ineligible to sit for the exam. And you're required to perform OMM during your rotations and on our board exams, something you would be completely incapable of. OMM is actually quite a difficult thing to do. There's hundreds of techniques involved, you can't just expect to walk in and BS your way through it. Whether it's BS or not is irrelevant- it is a part of our education, a part of our board exams, and something we are graded on in which we must show proficiency or else we cannot progress through school. You lack a proficiency DO schools require. MD schools, on the other hand, can accept you, because they have no additional proficiencies you must demonstrate, you are eligible for their board exam, and you can likely progress through school if you were successful on the boards.

Reactions: 3 users
Whether it's BS or not is irrelevant- it is a part of our education, a part of our board exams, and something we are graded on in which we must show proficiency or else we cannot progress through school. You lack a proficiency DO schools require. MD schools, on the other hand, can accept you, because they have no additional proficiencies you must demonstrate, you are eligible for their board exam, and you can likely progress through school if you were successful on the boards.

Fair enough. And honestly I did not know that. I appreciate your help man.

They have zero openings available. (I selected "Students enrolled in international medical schools listed by the World Health Organization").
That's because they have already been filled. They fill incredibly fast, generally their available positions are gone within a month or two of posting. Usually Drexel has about 3-4 per year, which are posted in the late spring. I don't know about the other schools though. Basically, the only time a spot opens up is when a student fails out or transfers in the second year before rotations, which isn't a super common event.

No. Retreads from Carib diploma mills are DOA on our doorstep.

If one wanted to be a DO, they should have applied to DO schools in the first place.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this, is it possible to transfer from a Caribbean school to a US DO school if one were to get 250+ or 260+ on step 1? And would they just look at this or would they look at undergrad grades and MCAT?

Reactions: 4 users

CUSOM will take students from LCME accredited MD schools as long as they finish the last 2 years at CUSOM:

"2.13 TRANSFERS FROM LCME ACCREDITED SCHOOLS OF MEDICINE

For students who will be transferring from an LCME accredited school of medicine, at least the
last two years of instruction must be completed at CUSOM. In addition, LCME transfer students
must complete the CUSOM requirement for osteopathic manipulative medicine including the
understanding and knowledge of osteopathic philosophy prior to graduation. Satisfactory
completion of these requirements will be determined by the Dean.
Transfer credits will only be given if the student is in good standing and acquires a letter from
the Dean and Associate Dean(s) of the previously attended medical school(s). The letter must
state that the student is eligible for readmission to the previously attended school(s) of medicine
accredited by LCME and is in good standing with the institution from which the student is
transferring. "

Reactions: 3 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I smelled it after reading the post about how someone could learn to live with being a do

Internet Troll:
A person whose sole purpose in life is to seek out people to argue with on the internet over extremely trivial issues. Such arguments can happen on blogs, Facebook, Myspace and a host of others. The best thing you can do to fight an internet troll is to not answer..or report them

Reactions: 1 users
@Jacobyellz

SDN people, esp on the pre-osteo, will viciously attack you for your opinion. Beware.

To go back to your issue, you are acting like DO schools will accept a Carrib student given a certain Step score. There is a reason DO schools have lower stats, they focus on other aspects of ones education and want to teach OMM. Some could EASILY fill a class of all 30+ 3.7+ but choose not to.

If you haven't learned OMM and your app was sub-par to begin with (hence not being accepted US MD), they will not take you either.

No it is not possible. Those are offshore schools that give you an MD, the DO schools have a different curriculum. I have actually heard of foreign medical graduates applying to DO schools. I think NYCOM has a program for doctors who went to medical school overseas, but I do not think its a transfer program and you start from square one.

To be clear, while DO schools do not accept Carib "transfers," some DO schools will accept Carib students provided that the student is in good standing at his present school, and is also willing to restart at year one.

It's a legal thing dude. You're ineligible to sit for the exam. And you're required to perform OMM during your rotations and on our board exams, something you would be completely incapable of. OMM is actually quite a difficult thing to do. There's hundreds of techniques involved, you can't just expect to walk in and BS your way through it. Whether it's BS or not is irrelevant- it is a part of our education, a part of our board exams, and something we are graded on in which we must show proficiency or else we cannot progress through school. You lack a proficiency DO schools require. MD schools, on the other hand, can accept you, because they have no additional proficiencies you must demonstrate, you are eligible for their board exam, and you can likely progress through school if you were successful on the boards.
Do you know of any school that start OMM in year 2?