1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Transit strike in NYC during interviews?

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by grunermann, Dec 16, 2005.

1. grunermann

grunermann Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey gang,

I'm in NYC right now visiting with my parents. I am supposed to be staying on 110th st and have an interview at SUNY downstate on the 20th. I am sooo worried about this subway strike. Does anyone want to get a hotel room closer in midtown/downtown or have a space available or any suggestions? I am at a loss for what to do.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. KatieOConnor

KatieOConnor Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

They are not going to strike. A transit-wide strike is illegal and the resultant fines would bankrupt the union.

Right now they are "phasing in" a strike, starting with some bus lines that, due to a technicality, are not covered under the Taylor Law. Don't worry about not having mass transit though, I would be very very surprised if it actually happened.

4. grunermann

grunermann Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh well, strike has happened, I have to leave downtown hotel today with the prospect of walking my bags 100 blocks in mid 20s weather. SUNY Downstate was nice enough to cancel my interview (some plan huh). Guess I'll wait the others out.

5. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You could just take a cab and consider it an investment. You might be lucky since the cabs are splitting fares and find others going to Brooklyn.

Some of this info might be useful.

Good luck.

I've got a long walk this morning. :oops:

6. mollywobbles

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if i had listented to the news i could have slept in. i found out the hard way - saw traffic backed up on broadway and the subway gates locked shut.

sorry it got in the way of your interivews.

7. grunermann

grunermann Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Oh well, I will live. I'm drinking a little tonight. One place decided they should cancel my interview. How nice of them! But, the others are on. I'm going to find a way to get there.

8. mollywobbles

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    you're a trooper. it's too cold to go out drinking tonight!

9. grunermann

grunermann Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm staying in to drink :) I have over 4 miles that I potentially have to walk in the morning if no one wants to give me a lift.

Oh well, at least all this stuff helps me forget about the match for a while.

10. mollywobbles

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeah if that idiot mayor had gone running across bridges and **** this wouldn't have been as big an issue.

i stayed in today, but i'll have to call the hospital tomorrow morning and see if they want me to come in anyway :(. the plan is aparently to walk to the east side of manhattan and punch people for a cab.

an aside:
    i'm not neglecting patients, i'm in a radiology rotation where i don't get to touch another living soul and only study the films of discharged/near discharge patients.

and good luck tomorrow, i hope it goes well for you.