Transition from Canada to USA in optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riceyrice2020

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm currently applying to optometry schools and I hope to get into a Waterloo (Canadian optometry school).

I know this is probably an odd question but I am in a long-distance relationship with someone in the united states. I am from Canada!
We've been together for a while now. He plans on doing dentistry school in the states and I want to go to optometry school in Canada.

We want to be together and live together one day. Our problem is that we don't know how we'll do it post-school.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to work in the USA with a Canadian optometry degree and if it was feasible to even find a job in the US as a Canadian with a Canadian optometry degree.

I know I'm looking a bit far into the future but it's something that has been bothering me for a while and I don't know where to turn to.

Thank you for any help or advice!

If anyone knows someone I could contact or get more information on this I would really apprecite it !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

From my knowledge, if you attend opto school in US, right after graduation you can get an extension of 1 year to work in US through your school.

In order to work in the US ( after attending Waterloo ) you will need a work visa and if your partner (legal) is a citizen in the states, this should make the process of getting one even easier. There is no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to work in the US, you just need to make sure you pass your optometry boards respective to US (NEBO) as an optometrist upon graduation

If you end up going to Waterloo and want to practice in either -> US, Ontario, BC or Quebec - take NEBO!
If you end up going to Waterloo and want to practice in either -> Alberta, Manitoba, Eastern Canada or Northern Canada - take OEBC!
A Breakdown of Canadian vs American Optometry Board Exams | ASCO: Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry

Many Canadian students choose to take both board exams to complete a residency, keep the borders fluid, or challenge themselves in their clinical knowledge. Most of the preparation materials are equivalent and the content is similar between the two board exams. No matter why you take both, there is no doubt that you will be a more knowledgeable clinician in the process. Best of luck on your board exams! How to Work in the US as a Canadian Optometrist

Hope this helps! I would recommend reaching out to doctors on linked in or ask respective student ambassadors from US schools to connect you with Canadian students who would know of other doctors working in the states.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

From my knowledge, if you attend opto school in US, right after graduation you can get an extension of 1 year to work in US through your school.

In order to work in the US ( after attending Waterloo ) you will need a work visa and if your partner (legal) is a citizen in the states, this should make the process of getting one even easier. There is no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to work in the US, you just need to make sure you pass your optometry boards respective to US (NEBO) as an optometrist upon graduation

If you end up going to Waterloo and want to practice in either -> US, Ontario, BC or Quebec - take NEBO!
If you end up going to Waterloo and want to practice in either -> Alberta, Manitoba, Eastern Canada or Northern Canada - take OEBC!
A Breakdown of Canadian vs American Optometry Board Exams | ASCO: Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry

Many Canadian students choose to take both board exams to complete a residency, keep the borders fluid, or challenge themselves in their clinical knowledge. Most of the preparation materials are equivalent and the content is similar between the two board exams. No matter why you take both, there is no doubt that you will be a more knowledgeable clinician in the process. Best of luck on your board exams! How to Work in the US as a Canadian Optometrist

Hope this helps! I would recommend reaching out to doctors on linked in or ask respective student ambassadors from US schools to connect you with Canadian students who would know of other doctors working in the states.
Thank you for this thorough answer!