Transition to Healthcare Management....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthEnthusiast

Reaction score
I have an undergrad degree in Health Administration and an MPH in Health Policy and Management..I am in my last year of my doctoral program in Health Management and Policy. I realized that I really enjoy practice or perhaps working in the field as an executive. I was wondering if I should go ahead and purse an MHA (Master of Health Administration) or try to work with what I have to work in the practice of Healthcare Management/Health Administration. I really don't want to apply to school again. Any insights?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I have an MHA and I've realized that the majority of positions are based on the relationships you establish networking, not your degree. Having an MPH is going to be the equivalent as an MHA as far as qualifications goes. If you're able to go to networking events, that will be your best way to find a job in the field. Further down the line if you're thinking of going an on executive level, it might be beneficial to have an MBA, but that will be much further along in your career.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks lumya! I appreciate your insight - I will try to network and establish relationships. I've noticed that clinicians (ex: nurses, doctors, physician therapists) are also goin in the the practice of healthcare management/administration. With the complexity of healthcare, innovation and new ideas are welcomed in order to improve quality and access.:)