Transition to premed courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jemill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been lurking for awhile so I figured I should introduce myself. After some serious soul searching and research, I came to the conclusion that becoming a doctor will truly allow me to achieve everything I have ever wanted out of life. I have previously earned my associate's in computer information systems and an administrative assistant certificate, with horrible grades right out of highschool. I recently managed to bump my gpa to just over 3.0, and considering i have close to 100 credits (with no bachelors degree yet) it's going to take a lot to bump it even more.

Over the summer I took gen bio 1 & 2 and gen chem 1 (all with labs) and did ok, but I know I could have done better with less work and no health problems (b+, b-, c). I just turned 25 and just began my bachelors in neurobiology with a minor in psychology. If I play it out right I will have my prereqs done in spring of 15, then rock the mcat that summer or possibly winter if I'm not ready yet, apply in 2016, work for a year and begin med school in 2017!

Now if you made it this far, or even skipped the boring part, here's my question: once I start my hardcore science classes, roughly 3 a semester plus volnteering 4 hrs a week at least, how many hours of paid work would you guys and gals suggest I limit myself too? I live with my boyfriend who is financially stable and supportive and my crazy husky, so I have no kids to support or anything. I understand I may have to adjust my timeframe to find the perfect mix, but any suggestions from knowledgeable minds are greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Now if you made it this far, or even skipped the boring part, here's my question: once I start my hardcore science classes, roughly 3 a semester plus volnteering 4 hrs a week at least, how many hours of paid work would you guys and gals suggest I limit myself too?

20 hours a week. Part-time.
Now, there are people who manage a full course load and 40 hours per week. But I think, to be on a safe side and get good grades, you should concentrate on school and work 2.5-3 days a week.

Totally agree. I worked full-time (45+ hrs a week) during my 2 1/2 year process of completing all the pre-req sciences and additional bio courses and I think it effected my grades. It was manageable with most of the bio courses but physics and orgo was a killer for time, especially labs. And then studying for the MCAT working full-time is also a burn out.

It's understandable if you do need to work full-time to support yourself but if you can afford to go part time, do it. Good luck!

20 hours a week. Part-time.
Now, there are people who manage a full course load and 40 hours per week. But I think, to be on a safe side and get good grades, you should concentrate on school and work 2.5-3 days a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your responses! :D

You should make getting A's and learning the material your priority; you have about a 3.0 (don't know what your science GPA is) so you want to bump that up to around a 3.3 before you apply. Also, getting B's and C's will bring your GPA down and that'll make it even harder to bring up as you'll have more credits.

I can't tell you how much you can work, since your work-study-life balance is all your own. Start out with 15 to 20 hours, see if you can handle the load of work and school (but give priority to school) and adjust as needed.

Good luck!