Transitional/Internship year Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0mersimps0n

HMO CRUSHER
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a forum search to make sure I wasn't touching on a well-hit subject but I didn't find much...

I'm jumping the gun but I want to be VERY prepared- I'm an MS-II DO student taking both USMLE/COMLEX step 1's in June. I'm not sure which way I want to go (allo or osteo) residency route but one thing I do know for sure is that I want to do a transitional year/Internship year.

Some Q's: (to start for now, I'm sure I'll think of more)

1.) what, if any, is the difference between an internship year and transitional year?

2.) Is there a national database/search engine for US transitional/internship year programs?

I have researched a few DO and MD programs but because I'm so early in this process have resisted calling them with questions (like will an allo transitional year prog require me to have taken the USMLE- not really an issue cause I'm taking it anyway).

Thanks for your help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for asking this question! I haven't found a good answer clarifying this either... MODS???

H0mersimps0n said:
1.) what, if any, is the difference between an internship year and transitional year?

Internship years are a broad category. The three most common types are medicine, surgery, and transitional (aka TY). Transitional internships are different from medicine internships b/c they involve less time on the medicine floors and more time doing electives. Traditionally, transitional years are a lot easier too b/c you can arrange easier electives and do less call months. For example, most TY's have less then 6 months of call (many have as little as three). Whereas many medicine internships will make you do call 10 months out of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
H0mersimps0n said:
I did a forum search to make sure I wasn't touching on a well-hit subject but I didn't find much...

I'm jumping the gun but I want to be VERY prepared- I'm an MS-II DO student taking both USMLE/COMLEX step 1's in June. I'm not sure which way I want to go (allo or osteo) residency route but one thing I do know for sure is that I want to do a transitional year/Internship year.

Some Q's: (to start for now, I'm sure I'll think of more)

2.) Is there a national database/search engine for US transitional/internship year programs?

I have researched a few DO and MD programs but because I'm so early in this process have resisted calling them with questions (like will an allo transitional year prog require me to have taken the USMLE- not really an issue cause I'm taking it anyway).

Thanks for your help everyone!

Keep in mind that internships (traditional, combined, or specialty track) are required to become AOA certified (and thus to enter an AOA residency.) If you enter an ACGME residency without the internship/transitional year (since it is not required,) then you will likely be unable to become AOA certified. This limits you from involvement in the AOA, Osteopathic Medical Schools, and practicing in the 7 states that require AOA certification for DO's. There is a process that you can go through to get your PGY-1 year to count as an internship year, however, this only works if you meet specific requirements (i.e. unable to move to an area that has an AOA program due to family concerns.)

Some ACGME programs include that extra year combined with PGY-1 (i.e. orthopedic surgery), but many do not (i.e. primary care.) An AOA primary care residency would be PGY 2-4, whereas an ACGME primary care residency would be PGY 1-3.

Normal Force thanks for the links I forgot about those. I use Frieda a lot however.

OSUdoc, my plan was to do an ACGME internship/TY program and petition to get it accepted by the AOA because I always want the option of practicing in any state.

I may try to IM you and run my plan by you, I'm no so sure I want to reveal my situation all to completely and screw myself.

Basically the city I'm looking at doing my I/T year in has a tiny DO hospital with an internship prog and a LARGE MD hospital with a transitional year program. Some would ask why not do the DO one at the small dinky hospital and to them I say I'm leaning toward specializing in Radio or Cardio and would want to do those during my "electives" WHICH I could only do if I were at the big MD hospital because dinky DO hospital doesn't have anything but IM, FP, OB, etc. and they actually ship that stuff off to bigger MD hospital.

SO, I haven't worked out or researched the details of what it would take to get that MD hospital TY accepted by the AOA but I've heard nearly anything can be done if petitioned correctly... hmm

H0mersimps0n said:
Normal Force thanks for the links I forgot about those. I use Frieda a lot however.

OSUdoc, my plan was to do an ACGME internship/TY program and petition to get it accepted by the AOA because I always want the option of practicing in any state.

I may try to IM you and run my plan by you, I'm no so sure I want to reveal my situation all to completely and screw myself.

Basically the city I'm looking at doing my I/T year in has a tiny DO hospital with an internship prog and a LARGE MD hospital with a transitional year program. Some would ask why not do the DO one at the small dinky hospital and to them I say I'm leaning toward specializing in Radio or Cardio and would want to do those during my "electives" WHICH I could only do if I were at the big MD hospital because dinky DO hospital doesn't have anything but IM, FP, OB, etc. and they actually ship that stuff off to bigger MD hospital.

SO, I haven't worked out or researched the details of what it would take to get that MD hospital TY accepted by the AOA but I've heard nearly anything can be done if petitioned correctly... hmm

As long as you do that extra year with the ACGME program, it should be fairly easy to get AOA accreditation. The problem that most run into is that they skipped the entire extra year.

OSUdoc08 said:
As long as you do that extra year with the ACGME program, it should be fairly easy to get AOA accreditation. The problem that most run into is that they skipped the entire extra year.

Yeah that's the sense I've gotten from reading around. No question about it I'm going to do that extra year and it makes my life much nicer if I can get into big MD hospital... maybe they'll let me do my FP rotation time with a DO or something...