transitional/prelim interview offers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktat72

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from any of their transitional or prelim programs yet? I have not heard anything.

Members don't see this ad.

I got zip, nada, nothing, zero,.... where are all the interviews? hhaha

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied for a prelim medicine spot.... haven't heard a word from any program yet, and I submitted my application a couple of weeks ago. Most of my friends are applying for categorical medicine and are getting lots of interview invitations... is it possible that the prelim/transitional invites are granted a little later than the categoricals?? I hope so!

:luck:

So far I've picked up three out of the 12 I applied for in NYC, I think it's really a slow progress.

Submitted my app on Sept. 1. I received an interview invite from IU/Methodist Hospital on Sept. 9. Other than that, no other interviews.

NF

I got one prelim
funny thing is they emailed me just after downloading my photo
coincidence?
I think not

Submitted app on Sept 1 and got interviews from both Indiana Univ./Methodist and St. Vincent's (Indiana) on Sept 7.

Interviewing at Drexel and Syracuse so far but haven't heard from any other programs yet.

Gauss said:
I got one prelim
funny thing is they emailed me just after downloading my photo
coincidence?
I think not
It's obvious; who wouldn't want a physician with Dr. McCoy's experience? :)

Anyone applying to prelim med in CA heard anything yet? Hearing about people getting categorical interviews at the same places is starting to get annoying.

Originally posted by Jaded Soul:
Anyone applying to prelim med in CA heard anything yet? Hearing about people getting categorical interviews at the same places is starting to get annoying.

I applied to a couple prelims in CA but have not heard anything either.

Looks like I spoke too soon. Kaiser LA called to offer an interview for prelim med earlier today (9/27). Kaiser Oakland also offered via e-mail today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard from Lutheran General (Prelim Med) in IL 9/27. Can we keep a Prelim/ Transitional page going?

Transitional:
Indiana Univ/Methodist 9/7
St. Vincents,Indiana 9/7
Drexel 9/26
Syracuse 9/26

Prelim Med
Kaiser, Ca 9/27
Lutheran General, IL 9/27

I applied for GSurg prelim and categorical at the same hospitals...we'll see what comes first. I am assuming that it would be the categorical positions, no? Anyone know?

K

what prelims in California have given out invites so far?

i got a transitional offer from Arrowhead in Colton, CA. I know its not the best area, but still, its a transitional year! Anyone hear about that program?

ktat72 said:
what prelims in California have given out invites so far?
Prelim med from alameda county oakland

I got st vincents manhattan

Transitional: Flushing Hospital, NYC
Transitional: Hospital of St. Raphael, CT

I received prelim medicine interviews to GBMC and Franklin Square in Baltimore, MD.

joaquin13 said:
i got a transitional offer from Arrowhead in Colton, CA. I know its not the best area, but still, its a transitional year! Anyone hear about that program?

I heard that it was pretty malignant for a transitional year. Supposedly lots of surgery and ob/gyn. Mandatory peds too. Doesn't seem like a lot of time for electives.

#2 Prelim.
St Lukes NYC

Trans: Flushing
Prelim: UIC

1)St. Lukes(prelim) NYC
2)Flushing -(transitional) NYC
3)Winthrop-(prelim) NYC
4)SVC (prelim) NYC
5)Mamonides (prelim/transitional)
6)Wilson Hospital (Bing, NY) transitional
-starting to get agida, about scheduling......

:eek:

Excuse the dumb question but what's the difference between prelim vs transitional vs categorical?

Prelim is one full year of either IM or Surgery which is a requirement of some specialties eg rads,neuro.
Categorical IM or Surgery is the full residency ie you don't just do a year of it.
Transitional is a year spent rotating in many specialties,IM,Surgery,OB/GYN,Peds.

UIC Pre-lim Medicine
St Francis Pre-lim Medicine
West-Suburban Transitional
Swedish Covenent Transitional.

Huntington prelim med (Pasadena, CA) via e-mail 10/5.

bignursemd said:
1)St. Lukes(prelim) NYC
2)Flushing -(transitional) NYC
3)Winthrop-(prelim) NYC
4)SVC (prelim) NYC
5)Mamonides (prelim/transitional)
6)Wilson Hospital (Bing, NY) transitional
-starting to get agida, about scheduling......

:eek:

what is SVC in NY?

spacetygrss said:
UIC Pre-lim Medicine
St Francis Pre-lim Medicine
West-Suburban Transitional
Swedish Covenent Transitional.

St. Joseph Pre-lim Medicine 10/6

jtw said:
what is SVC in NY?
also picked up..
Nassau University Medical Center Program
and New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens) Program

;)

spacetygrss said:

Picked up Rush Prelim IM today. It's cool b/c they have Saturday interviews.

mts said:
I heard from Lutheran General (Prelim Med) in IL 9/27. Can we keep a Prelim/ Transitional page going?

Transitional:
St. Vincents,Indiana 9/7
Drexel 9/26
Syracuse 9/26

Prelim Med
Kaiser, Ca 9/27

New offers (per everyone), let's just add to the list as people get offers so we don't have to go through the entire list every time. It's really easy to do, just reply to the preceeding list (i.e. the next person with an interview replies to this post and so on). This could be a good list if we keep this going.

Transitional:
St. Vincents,Indiana 9/7
Drexel 9/26
Syracuse 9/26
Arrowhead in Colton, CA 10/1
Flushing Hospital, NYC 10/1
Hospital of St. Raphael, CT 10/1
st vincents manhattan 10/1
Mamonides (prelim/transitional) 10/2
Wilson Hospital (Bing, NY) transitional 10/2
West-Suburban Transitional 10/4
Swedish Covenent Transitional 10/4
Nassau University Medical Center Program 10/7
New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens) Program 10/7
MacNeal, Chicago 10/6

Prelim Med
Kaiser, Ca 9/27
GBMC 10/1
Franklin Square in Baltimore, MD 10/1
St Lukes NYC 10/1
UIC 10/1
St. Lukes (prelim) NYC 10/2
Winthrop-(prelim) NYC 10/2
University of Miami-Jackson Memorial 10/3
St Francis Pre-lim Medicine 10/4
Huntington prelim med (Pasadena, CA) 10/5
univ of maryland IM-preliminary 10/6

What a great example, I am replying to my previous post with the new Rush interview. Let's keep this going!!

Transitional:
St. Vincents,Indiana 9/7
Drexel 9/26
Syracuse 9/26
Arrowhead in Colton, CA 10/1
Flushing Hospital, NYC 10/1
Hospital of St. Raphael, CT 10/1
st vincents manhattan 10/1
Mamonides (prelim/transitional) 10/2
Wilson Hospital (Bing, NY) transitional 10/2
West-Suburban Transitional 10/4
Swedish Covenent Transitional 10/4
Nassau University Medical Center Program 10/7
New York Medical College (Brooklyn-Queens) Program 10/7
MacNeal, Chicago 10/6

Prelim Med
Kaiser, Ca 9/27
GBMC 10/1
Franklin Square in Baltimore, MD 10/1
St Lukes NYC 10/1
UIC 10/1
St. Lukes (prelim) NYC 10/2
Winthrop-(prelim) NYC 10/2
University of Miami-Jackson Memorial 10/3
St Francis Pre-lim Medicine 10/4
Huntington prelim med (Pasadena, CA) 10/5
univ of maryland IM-preliminary 10/6
Rush Prelim IM 10/7

Quick question for those with Prelim IM interivew invitations at NYC hospitals --

Did any programs offer invites without all of your application materials (with the exception of the MSPE) uploaded? Were there any that waited until all of your materials were in the ERAS post office to offer an invitation?

If any of you could share your experiences with this, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks guys -- Good luck
:luck:

hey...
the majority of the programs that granted interviews had at least two of my LOR in hand...and I had the remainder of my documents uploaded, minus the deans letter

JMH (Miami) sent their interview offer via snail-mail - I was expecting email, and no notification in the ERAS message center

hey everyone-I got Rush for prelim medicine today also.

Rush is the only place I applied to in chicago for neuro, I heard they have a great program. however, they can't arrange medicine same day etc (some other places seem to be able to do this), in order to interview for the medicine spot it looks like i'd have to hang out in chicago for 4-5 days (too expensive to come back again), assuming i get more interviews, 4-5 days is much time... worth it?

i.e. has anyone heard good things about prelim/medicine at rush? i applied there only cause i heard neuro was really good...looking for some encouragement.

thanks
scm

(thats the only prelim ive heard from so far, none in CA, WA, OR, MA, and uh, HI, im outta NYC for a yr at least..)

Anybody hear from any of the jersey transitionals?

received prelim offer at Good Samaritan hospital in Phoenix

Does anyone know anything good or bad about the community preliminary programs in Baltimore/DC (including Union, Harbor, Good Samaritan, Greater Baltimore Med Center, Franklin Square, etc)? I would like to be in the area next year for personal reasons but can't seem to find much about these programs... :confused:

Jacobi Medical Center - prelim medicine today via email