Transitional year and then reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

promotemma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to do a transitional year somewhere and then reapply as a PGY-1 to a program? I'm not really wanting to know whether or not it's a good idea, so much as if it's possible. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Very possible as a PGY-I or II, but Is are much more plentiful.

I'd worry that a transitional year wouldn't serve to provide a sufficient amount of psychiatry training built in to transition to a PGY II position or is that not an issue? The goal in the transition year would be to increase my profile as an applicant, being that I'm a DO and have experienced the 'typical' clinical years of mostly shadowing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could likely find a program that would eaccept you as a second-year, with the caveat that you would have to do six months of inpatient psychiatry with part of your elective time that you get later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You could. I have no idea why you would want to, but you could.

Very possible as a PGY-I or II, but Is are much more plentiful.
You could likely find a program that would eaccept you as a second-year, with the caveat that you would have to do six months of inpatient psychiatry with part of your elective time that you get later.

I wound up with the transitional year. Any advice on how/when to go about finding a PGY2 position? Our school (DO) has little to offer in the realm of guidance on approaching these situations. I appreciate your advice.

There are a few programs with built in PGY-II expansions, but most PGY-II spots open because someone left a program. I'm afraid most of these are word of mouth. Training directors get asked about openings almost every day by e-mail. You can politely ask programs to consider you if something comes up. If you know a program director well enough, sometimes they hear about other openings via list serves and such. The APA clearinghouse doesn't seem very up to date and I suspect few openings post there.

There are a few programs with built in PGY-II expansions, but most PGY-II spots open because someone left a program. I'm afraid most of these are word of mouth. Training directors get asked about openings almost every day by e-mail. You can politely ask programs to consider you if something comes up. If you know a program director well enough, sometimes they hear about other openings via list serves and such. The APA clearinghouse doesn't seem very up to date and I suspect few openings post there.

There aren't many listed on the clearinghouse currently, so your suspicions are probably correct. Would it need to be a psych PD that would have access to openings? Also, when I'm making inquiries, do I include an attachment with my CV, PS, LOR's etc? Thank you for your help, this feels a bit overwhelming.

It wouldn't have to cut into your elective time if your program gets enough inpatient time in later years. I guess my program so much exceeded inpatient psychiatry requirements that the people who transferred in never had to make up any extra psych work. Fitting in neurology later seemed to be the bigger issue although the requirements for that are much less.

It wouldn't have to cut into your elective time if your program gets enough inpatient time in later years. I guess my program so much exceeded inpatient psychiatry requirements that the people who transferred in never had to make up any extra psych work. Fitting in neurology later seemed to be the bigger issue although the requirements for that are much less.

True. My program had so many service requirements, we never got any elective time at all and Neurology was hard to come by. Granted I went to a very busy program so YMMV.

I had planned on using my elective time in my transitional year to do Neurology, so hopefully that works out in my favor. I had applied to OHSU this year but wasn't extended an invitation. Maybe I'll luck out and you guys will have a PGY2 slot next year. Highest per capita microbrews? I'm there :)