Transitional Year Competition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NolanFan95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an OMS3 interested in pursuing diagnostic radiology for residency. I am currently studying for Step 2 CK and COMLEX 2 CE. I got a 255 on Step 1 and 612 on COMLEX 1. I have one publication and two more articles submitted for peer review. I have the average number of volunteer and leadership experiences according to latest stats. I realized that before starting a residency in diagnostic radiology, I would have to complete either a transitional or preliminary year. I prefer to do a transitional year over a preliminary year. How competitive is matching into a transitional year in general? What are my chances specifically of matching into one?

Members don't see this ad.

Try to get a combined matched and don’t worry about which one you get. Prelim medicine is probably the most useful to a future radiologist.

I am an OMS3 interested in pursuing diagnostic radiology for residency. I am currently studying for Step 2 CK and COMLEX 2 CE. I got a 255 on Step 1 and 612 on COMLEX 1. I have one publication and two more articles submitted for peer review. I have the average number of volunteer and leadership experiences according to latest stats. I realized that before starting a residency in diagnostic radiology, I would have to complete either a transitional or preliminary year. I prefer to do a transitional year over a preliminary year. How competitive is matching into a transitional year in general? What are my chances specifically of matching into one?
TYs are actually pretty competitive. At least the ones that are “chill” and have lots of elective time. In some ways they’re harder than matching into rads. Make sure you have some prelim medicines too.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure where you are located but I would check out the HCA TYs. There are a bunch of chill ones in the Southeast, especially Florida.

Reactions: 1 user
Very competitive, you need to apply to a lot.....prob >20. Your scores are great and that will help. TYs also vary in competitiveness by region, and without knowing where you are your question is hard to answer.

Reactions: 1 users
Very competitive, you need to apply to a lot.....prob >20. Your scores are great and that will help. TYs also vary in competitiveness by region, and without knowing where you are your question is hard to answer.
I am planning on applying broadly (80 programs) but I hope to match somewhere in Florida.

I am planning on applying broadly (80 programs) but I hope to match somewhere in Florida.

The HCA TYs in Florida aren't super competitive. With your stats, you should be able to pick the program. you want. My step 1 score is lower than yours and I got interviews to everyone I applied to and matched my #1.

Reactions: 1 users