transitional year help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swimmer122

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for advice regarding transitional years. A few questions:

1. Do I need a separate personal statement for transitional year?

2. Do all radiology residency programs except transitional years from all institutions? Or are certain residencies affiliated with certain transitional years? For instance, can I end up with a residency in NYC and a transitional year in Boston (just making up a hypothetical here)?

3. How many transitional year programs do people usually apply to? I would think I need to apply to as many as possible to make sure that I actually have some place to train my first year??

4. When I am creating my rank list, is there a separate rank list for the transitional year and for residency programs?

Thanks again for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

1. No.
2. Essentially all TYs are accepted. No affiliations with a few exceptions. Yes.
3. Will depend on your app. Everyone I have asked said around 10-15 and that they overapplied. I applied to 15.
4. From what I understand each advanced position you rank has its own secondary rank list for preliminary/TY positions. And you can add those preliminary/TY to your main rank list as well in case you don't match at an advanced position you can still match at a prelim position (there have been other threads on this).

hey, im bumping this to get advice about the personal statement since I havent seen many answers to this. Seriously though, we dont need to have a different essay? They expect this?

i used the same personal statement for TY, prelim, and advanced programs and have received many TY invites. don't think it's necessary to change the personal statement.