Transitional Year without pgy-2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thejanitorfromscrubs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im an IMG with low scores. I got into a transitional year program without any pgy-2. I am wondering about my future process in applying for the next year. Can I apply for pgy-2 spots in eras during my transitional year? I am not sure if you can apply for pgy-2 and start pgy-2 right away, or is there always a one year gap from application to starting pgy-2? Should I focus on applying for categorical spots and starting over from pgy-1?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Im an IMG with low scores. I got into a transitional year program without any pgy-2. I am wondering about my future process in applying for the next year. Can I apply for pgy-2 spots in eras during my transitional year? I am not sure if you can apply for pgy-2 and start pgy-2 right away, or is there always a one year gap from application to starting pgy-2? Should I focus on applying for categorical spots and starting over from pgy-1?

Thank you
what were you originally applying for ? if its stuff like gas, you can apply to advance spot

Had very few interviews and matched into a transitional year in a nearby program, so this wasn't planned. Now I am trying to decide how to proceed. Would like to do neuro but also considering my options. A lot depends on what I can get into, competitiveness, etc.

Had very few interviews and matched into a transitional year in a nearby program, so this wasn't planned. Now I am trying to decide how to proceed. Would like to do neuro but also considering my options. A lot depends on what I can get into, competitiveness, etc.
Well without any info no one can really help you. What are your stats ? also have step 3 finished by the end of your transitional year. Id highly recommend having a back up like family or internal

IMG
Step 1-195
Step 2- 220
Step 2 CS- 1st attempt
Research- 3 publications

Sorry, these are my stats.
I mostly want to know about applying to advanced spots. I am considering Anesthesia, Neurology and maybe Radiology. I believe the others are out of reach (Derm, Optho).
Furthermore, would I have improved chance by applying for categorical spots and repeating intern year again?
Thanks

And application time will be in September so I may not get in Step 3 quick enough to have it on my eras application.

How in the world did an img with barely passing step scores match into a transitional year? Those are insanely competitive. Furthermore what were you doing applying for them in the first place? I’m sorry but this has troll written all over it.

If this is not a troll, you got some really terrible advising. you can try looking for open neuro or pm&r slots. Those are both reaches. Any other advanced program would be a one in a million shot without a connection. But weird stuff happens out of the match, you never know.

Reactions: 1 user
Not trolling. It was a new program in a community hospital. A friend of mines in a similar position got an interview and I applied as well.
When you say you can look for open Neuro and pm&r slots, are you referring to the match, or outside of the match? Do I start searching for openings as soon as possible and any time they are available? Please elaborate.
Thank you

You can try to apply for things like GAS, neuro, or rads (neuro probably is the least competitive), but with a sub-200 Step 1 and step 2 well below average I think your chances for those specialties are close to 0. Derm and ophtho your chances are 0.

The first 3 specialties you should apply to are,
1. family medicine
2. family medicine
3. family medicine

You'd have to repeat intern year, but any position you get should be taken. You're scores are not very competitive for family medicine either.

If there are other programs at the institution where your transitional year is you should try to get to know them too. Performing extremely well for the first 3 or 4 months in your transitional year may open up other doors at your institution.

Reactions: 4 users
You can try to apply for things like GAS, neuro, or rads (neuro probably is the least competitive), but with a sub-200 Step 1 and step 2 well below average I think your chances for those specialties are close to 0. Derm and ophtho your chances are 0.

1. family medicine
2. family medicine
3. family medicine

You'd have to repeat intern year, but any position you get should be taken. You're scores are not very competitive for family medicine either.

If there are other programs at the institution where your transitional year is you should try to get to know them too. Performing extremely well for the first 3 or 4 months in your transitional year may open up other doors at your institution.

Dudes right

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. family medicine
2. family medicine
3. family medicine

He can apply to neuro but only if he's willing to repeat intern year.

Every other advanced specialty is neutral as to what kind of intern year you have to do. Neuro requires internal medicine only. TYs are not sufficient.

So, my understanding (and anyone who knows better can please correct me) is that any PGY-2 spots in ERAS would be for starting in July 2020. I for one think it isn't totally crazy to apply to some very low-tier radiology programs and see what happens--you have the advantage that if they take you, they don't need to worry about you getting a PGY-1 year, which can be a problem for some other IMG applicants. You should, however, still also apply to family medicine in case you don't find an advanced position--again, you'll have something of a leg up on other IMG applicants in that they will know that you at least were able to hack it ou

If you're looking for advanced positions starting in 2019, you'll need to look outside the match. Definitely nothing guaranteed but I'd start by asking people in the departments at your TY institution to see if they know of any open spots.

Reactions: 1 users
1. There are some "R" advanced positions which start the following year. They are much more rare than the usual "A" advanced positions which start 2 years out.
2. IIRC, if your TY includes at least 6 months of IM, it can be used for a Neuro prelim.

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you

Actually, this same scenario has played out with several TYs over the past two years at the community shop where I'm finishing my PGY-1 which is in an undesirable location (for most) with a slightly above average workload for a TY program. Your best bet really would probably be to go either family medicine or internal medicine, and you should heavily target the program you are at. Be the best possible intern you can be and get as involved as possible with research. Take your step 3 as soon as possible and do as well as possible. The FM program where I am at allowed one of the TYs to convert most of their schedule to align with an FM intern year, then they had to do just a couple extra blocks putting them slightly off cycle before completing entering PGY-2.

Another IMG applied for categorical IM at the TY program and got the spot. Unfortunately, this means that person needs to repeat an intern year. However, because this was all at the same institution, they went easy on her and scaled back the number of "tough" rotations (ICU, nights, floors) that needed to be completed a she had already proven herself.

A couple other folks were able to apply into and match anesthesia R2 positions, but they had higher board scores.

Ultimately, keep an open line of communication with you TY PD and the PDs of some other departments at the institution you are at. Work crazy hard. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users

Thank you

Hi thejanitorfromscrubs. I have an interview for TY. I have no idea what to say to why I want to do TY. I am a gyne from back home. So I know they are going to ask why I want to get into TY.

So I applied so I have some experience locally and the maybe get into either internal or family.

Can you please let me know how you answered the question why so you want to do TY?

Thanks

Hi guys

DO grad here who is in a very similar position (step1:226 step2:224 comlex1:501 comlex2: 548) and didnt match. I luckily ended up at a brand new TY program next year and I'm unsure of where my career is headed. I have opened the possibilities to new career and was wondering if you guys have any advice? Or if the gentleman who started the thread has some advice?

Hi guys

DO grad here who is in a very similar position (step1:226 step2:224 comlex1:501 comlex2: 548) and didnt match. I luckily ended up at a brand new TY program next year and I'm unsure of where my career is headed. I have opened the possibilities to new career and was wondering if you guys have any advice? Or if the gentleman who started the thread has some advice?
I was in a semi-similar position when they had separate matches. I was limited by geography , didn't match my first year out and there were few local programs. I sat out the first year to take care of my Grandma and helped with some mini research projects and volunteered essentially as a physician at a free clinic. The next year, I was still limited by geography and was afraid of not matching so I applied for and matched into a traditional rotating internship program. I was the best intern I could be. I was early and stayed late and was a team player. I got new letters from my TRI . I wrote an amazing personal statement . I guess it matters what you want to match into. I was set on psychiatry .However, I would have been happier in FP or IM. I would probably apply to FP at several programs, do an audition rotation in the field you want and volunteer some weekends in the field you want at your program or local programs so they know your face, know that you work hard, are easy to work with and are smart and can learn.