Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longhornknaus

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I still don't get how applying works with Transitional Year...
1. Can your Transitional Year site depend on where you match for PGY-2? Meaning, can you wait to find out where you're going for PGY-2 and then try to go there for PGY-1 as well?
2. If you're applying to 2 different fields, ONE of which requires a TY and the other does not...how the heck would that work?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's all in how the rank list is set up. For a specialty that requires a year of training before beginning your advanced training (such as PM&R, Rad, Anesth, Ophtho, Rad Onc, etc), the advanced program takes priority. You have a separate rank list of PGY-1 programs for each advanced program.

Let's say you are ranking 10 programs. For each spot or ranked PM&R program, you rank all of your PGY-1 (prelim med, TY, prelim surg, etc) programs for that particular spot.

Example:

1. U of Michigan PM&R. "Attached" to this #1 spot on my rank list, I rank each of my PGY1 alternatives. So, it would be something like, U of Mich first choice for PMR program. For this (if I match here), I rank Weiss transitional #1, Weiss prelim med #2, West Suburban Trans #3, MacNeal trans #4, etc.)

2. Spaulding PM&R (attached to this I could rank Boston trans #1, Boston prelim med #2, Weiss trans #3, etc.)

3. Northwestern Surgery program (here there is no advanced versus PGY-1 year)

4. RIC PM&R. "Attached" to this #1 spot on my rank list, I rank each of my PGY1 alternatives. So, it would be something like, RIC fourth choice for PMR program. For this (if I match here), I rank Weiss transitional #1, Weiss prelim med #2, West Suburban Trans #3, MacNeal trans #4, etc.)

...so on and so on. I hope that makes sense. Otherwise perhaps somone else can hopefully explain it in a more alticulate manner

Wow, that makes so much more sense now. Thanks sonto.

Members don't see this ad :)
require TY/Prelim?

What is the difference between TY and Prelim?

Thanks.