Transitioning from Behavioral Health

Started by feelings
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

feelings

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

I'll be graduating with my master's of social work in spring 2023 and planning on earning my clinical license. I want to take the 2-3 years it will take to accrue my hours and take my licensing exam to prepare for medical school applications, and have a couple of questions about that prep period if anyone is willing to share their input. Thank you!

I can elaborate on my reasons for wanting to pursue medicine as well if requested. Questions:
  • Is 2-3 years a reasonable amount of time to work while also completing prerequisite courses? I don't need to take them all, but a good amount, I can tally up credits if needed but something like full bio series and full chem series, plus A&P and a couple of physics course so that's 9 off the top of my head.
  • Would medical social work be a good idea for a first job or fellowship? There are a lot of interesting opportunities in this field, and I think it would be a great way to gain more clinical experience side by side with other healthcare professionals. It would also give me a good idea of whether I'm sure med school is what I want to pursue. I'm hoping this could also lend itself to shadowing opportunities.
  • Should I focus my research on hard sciences, or would social science be acceptable?
  • Same with non-clinical volunteering: would it be better to show interest in work more related to medicine than mental health? Or should I just do whatever work I'm most passionate about?
Thank you!