Transitioning from Industry to Hospital Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RxConfused

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a recent grad (graduated in 2015) who worked briefly in retail and I am currently working in the pharmaceutical industry (in regulatory affairs) for the past 2 years. However, I have always wanted to work in hospital pharmacy. I did apply for residencies during my last year of pharmacy school but did not match. I started working at an independent pharmacy during weekends to keep up to date with pharmacy knowledge and skills. I am applying for per diem and full time hospital pharmacist positions.

Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances of transitioning to hospital pharmacy? I have seen some posts on here mentioning ACLS certification. I currently have the BLS certification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 
FWIW - to me, something like ACLS is "necessary but not sufficient" i.e., you'll need it when you're hired, but that doesn't meaningfully make you an attractive candidate.

Do you have friends / colleagues working in hospital pharmacies?