Transitioning from Industry to Hospital Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxConfused

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent grad (graduated in 2015) who worked briefly in retail and I am currently working in the pharmaceutical industry (in regulatory affairs) for the past 2 years. However, I have always wanted to work in hospital pharmacy. I did apply for residencies during my last year of pharmacy school but did not match. I started working at an independent pharmacy during weekends to keep up to date with pharmacy knowledge and skills. I am applying for per diem and full time hospital pharmacist positions.

Is there anything that I can do to improve my chances of transitioning to hospital pharmacy? I have seen some posts on here mentioning ACLS certification. I currently have the BLS certification. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW - to me, something like ACLS is "necessary but not sufficient" i.e., you'll need it when you're hired, but that doesn't meaningfully make you an attractive candidate.

Do you have friends / colleagues working in hospital pharmacies?

I’ve always wanted to try industry. Let’s switch jobs lol

Reactions: 1 user