Transitioning from military to College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dre_Pathology

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone. I did not know where else to put this, so i decided to put it here. I am new to the site. I am currently in the military, specifically the US Air Force, and i am currently taking online classes. I am stationed at MacDill AFB in Tampa, FL. My major is computer science but i have such a love of wanting to be a physician, that i have decided to get out, and be just that. I have a thing for loving to study viruses and researching them. I plan on attending the University of South Florida here in Tampa.
I do not think though, that being a full blown physician is possible for me..or i could just be over thinking it. My wife encourages me to do what i want and she'll be by my side, i am just trying to be realistic with myself though. I was thinking about trying to become a PA instead. I heard the job market for them should be pretty healthy and high for years to come. I had a couple questions if you all don't mind me asking:

Is it even realistic for me to get out and become a Physician or PA? I have some college credit already, so when i get out, i will be a sophomore in college.

How long does it take to study for the MCAT? I am not going to ask if it is hard, i hear it is, but i am such a study rat, that i will study until i have migraine in order to appropriately comprehend the information.

I hear that people are recommended to get into good internships and labs during their years in college? I am stationed in Tampa Florida, so hopefully a big city like this offers some opportunities.

Which is more expensive, becoming a PA or an actual physician? Could it go either way? Which one is worth the debt?

I am currently married and sometimes i worry that post baccalaureate studies/medical school may put a serious strain on our marriage while i am working towards my physician goals? Should i be concerned about that?

I apologize for all the question asking. I just want to make sure i am hitting all the main points. I am a strong minded person and do not care how blunt and straight forward the answers are. Just tell it like it is. I like the truth. Thanks in advance everyone. And to all the upcoming, current medical students and physicians, thank you. You work extremely hard and i most definitely respect that.
 
I do not think though, that being a full blown physician is possible for me..or i could just be over thinking it.

Why?

How long does it take to study for the MCAT?

Depends on the person. Typically at least a month or until your practice scores are high enough.

I hear that people are recommended to get into good internships and labs during their years in college?

Medical schools want to see good grades first and foremost. In addition, they want to see shadowing, clinical experience, and community service.
There are ample shadowing and community service opportunities available at any university (USF has AMSA). For clinical experience, you can do hospital volunteering or get a part time job as a CNA, EMT, ED tech, lab tech, or phlebotomist. Many schools also value research experience as well (USF has research labs).

Which is more expensive, becoming a PA or an actual physician? Could it go either way? Which one is worth the debt?

I am currently married and sometimes i worry that post baccalaureate studies/medical school may put a serious strain on our marriage while i am working towards my physician goals? Should i be concerned about that?

Becoming a physician is more expensive since school lasts longer and residents make less than PAs.

I won't sugar coat it for you. Medical school and residency require a lot of hard work and long hours. Sometimes 12hrs a day for class and studying before exams during the preclinical years. During the clinical years and residency you can be working as much as 80hrs a week in the hospital depending on the rotation.
 
Is it even realistic for me to get out and become a Physician or PA? I have some college credit already, so when i get out, i will be a sophomore in college.

If you are a hard worker and reasonably intelligent, yes it's realistic. Tough, but possible. Medical school is harder than PA school to get into, and the pathways are a little different. You'll have to take the MCAT for medical school, for most PA programs you'll just need the GRE. You should definitely focus on keeping up your GPA (all A's! or as close as you can get) whichever path you take.

How long does it take to study for the MCAT? I am not going to ask if it is hard, i hear it is, but i am such a study rat, that i will study until i have migraine in order to appropriately comprehend the information.

1-6 months.

I hear that people are recommended to get into good internships and labs during their years in college? I am stationed in Tampa Florida, so hopefully a big city like this offers some opportunities.
Again this is mainly for medical school. If you can get in on some research and even better have your name on a published paper, that's a great thing to have for the medical school application. Medical schools also want to see some clinical experience (working with patients, shadowing doctors), and some volunteering experience. PA schools generally require clinical experience, often paid (EMT, nurse, technologist).

Which is more expensive, becoming a PA or an actual physician? Could it go either way? Which one is worth the debt?

Medical school is 4 years long. PA programs are usually around 30 months - a little less than 3 years. PAs can start working immediately after school (and licensing). Physicians (MD and DO) have at least 3 years of residency after graduating from medical school (where you get paid about 50k a year, and you have to start paying your school loans back, and the work hours are crazy long). So PAs start making money a lot sooner, but physician salaries catch up and pass PAs later down the road.

I am currently married and sometimes i worry that post baccalaureate studies/medical school may put a serious strain on our marriage while i am working towards my physician goals? Should i be concerned about that?
A lot of things can put a strain on your marriage. Those who have good communication and strong trust, and are willing to sacrifice for each other can make it through.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think i was just over thinking it. I had a talk with my wife about everything, and we are good. She is actually pushing me to do it, if it is something i truly want to do. So, now, i am mentally and physically preparing myself for this journey. Now, there is a slight possibility that we may get stationed overseas after i complete my bachelor's degree in 2017.( My wife is military) Which leads me to my next question to ask you all.

I have read up on the things they call "gap years." Now there is a possibility that we may be over there for FOUR years, which is a long time. Now, what i researched that some did while they took 2 or more gap years, were things like graduate courses to keep fresh, clinical work, internships, lab technician jobs, shadowing doctors and the related. That is something i am looking into doing to keep me fresh. Now, obviously if we do not get overseas, and we are statewide, i'll take my one/two gap years and then proceed to medical school.

Would those things i mentioned about keeping me fresh if possibly overseas, be good things to do? I need all the advice i can get.
 
If you are a hard worker and reasonably intelligent, yes it's realistic. Tough, but possible. Medical school is harder than PA school to get into, and the pathways are a little different. You'll have to take the MCAT for medical school, for most PA programs you'll just need the GRE. You should definitely focus on keeping up your GPA (all A's! or as close as you can get) whichever path you take.



1-6 months.


Again this is mainly for medical school. If you can get in on some research and even better have your name on a published paper, that's a great thing to have for the medical school application. Medical schools also want to see some clinical experience (working with patients, shadowing doctors), and some volunteering experience. PA schools generally require clinical experience, often paid (EMT, nurse, technologist).



Medical school is 4 years long. PA programs are usually around 30 months - a little less than 3 years. PAs can start working immediately after school (and licensing). Physicians (MD and DO) have at least 3 years of residency after graduating from medical school (where you get paid about 50k a year, and you have to start paying your school loans back, and the work hours are crazy long). So PAs start making money a lot sooner, but physician salaries catch up and pass PAs later down the road.


A lot of things can put a strain on your marriage. Those who have good communication and strong trust, and are willing to sacrifice for each other can make it through.


@hawkbit you are absolutely correct that many things can put a strain on a marriage. It is all about communication and making it through the storm. She definitely supports my decision to start my path to becoming a doctor. I am taking in everything you are saying about studying hard and getting ready for the long process. I'll be ready for it.
 
<-- military vet. Use the education building to see what classes/lectures are offered on post and utilize them. Look into volunteering with the USO, volunteering/shadowing at the clinic on post. Don't just stop, keep gaining more to make your application sparkle.

As a vet, then military spouse, now about to be divorcee..... marriage is not easy and this will strain it possibly, but so will everything else in life including doing nothing and staying safe. You need communication and very honest communication. DO NOT sugar coat issues with your wife, be real with her and respect her feelings and perspective even if you don't agree. It is okay to disagree. Trust her, if you have an issue trusting then force yourself to trust her and it will get easier. She needs to return this. If you two can hold onto good communication and trust, everything else falls in line. Love is not enough to hold a marriage together, never stop showing her how much you appreciate her.