translational research training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuttyp3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have tried searching the threads for a comprehensive answer to this question, but have met with little luck. My dream career would be an orthopaedic surgeon who consults and works with biotech companies to invent/develop orthopaedic implants; possibly even start-up my own biotech company. So what type of training is necessary for a career in this type of translational research? Mainly, would an MD/PhD -> residency and possible fellowship be considerably better than a straight MD -> residency -> fellowship with heavy research concentrations at each?

My PhD would be in orthopaedic implant design, tissue engineering, or orthopaedic biomechanics.

I am deciding between matriculating at an MD/PhD program at an average school (reputable but ranked ~50) versus an MD program at a better school (ranked between 5-30; acceptance at the 30, but waitlisted at the 5-15 schools). If I were to attend a straight MD program I would immediately find a lab and start research, and possibly take a year off to complete a serious project (and maybe even apply to the MD/PhD program at that school after my MS1 or MS2 year - if I trully desire the PhD). At most of the schools I am considering, I have already contacted or know the PI's of the labs which I would work in. I guess my strongest consideration would be an acceptance at a top orthopaedic residency and/or fellowship; would an MD/PhD at an average school get me a better residency than a straight MD with considerable research at a top school?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

nuttyp3 said:
would an MD/PhD at an average school get me a better residency than a straight MD with considerable research at a top school?
ortho is a competitive match. regardless of if you went to a top school vs an average school, you would have to do well in medical school (i.e., get good grades, rock the boards, and do well on the clinical clerkships). all things being equal, my impression is that having an MD/PhD and a dedication to ortho research will put you at a distinct advantage.

good luck!

For any future responders - I know that ortho is an extremely competative match, so "assume" that I perform equally at either school and get good grades, have strong clinicals, and rock the boards (of course I can only hope that I live out this simple sentence).