Translational vs. Transformational Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OddNath

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a dumb question- what exactly is "transformational research"? I'm applying for a CCTS T32 grant, and before I explain how/why my research is transformational, I should probably know what that means! Hah.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
NSF said:
The practice of "looking forward" has recently been the focus of a great deal of discussion by the National Science Board, NSF's policy and oversight arm, and the staff at NSF. The topic I want to explore with you tonight is "transformative research."

We use this term to describe a range of endeavors, which promise extraordinary outcomes; such as, revolutionizing entire disciplines, creating entirely new fields, or disrupting accepted theories and perspectives. In other words, these endeavors have the potential to change the way we address challenges in science and engineering and also provide grist for the innovation mill. Supporting transformative research is of critical importance in the fast-paced, science and technology-intensive world of the 21st Century.
Source: http://www.nsf.gov/news/speeches/bement/07/alb070104_texas.jsp

So based on that I guess it means why your research is groundbreaking and important for your specific field, and for science as whole.

Source: http://www.nsf.gov/news/speeches/bement/07/alb070104_texas.jsp

So based on that I guess it means why your research is groundbreaking and important for your specific field, and for science as whole.
Thank you!

And in case anyone is interested, here's the NSF's definition:
"We use this term to describe a range of endeavors, which promise extraordinary outcomes; such as, revolutionizing entire disciplines, creating entirely new fields, or disrupting accepted theories and perspectives. In other words, these endeavors have the potential to change the way we address challenges in science and engineering and also provide grist for the innovation mill. Supporting transformative research is of critical importance in the fast-paced, science and technology-intensive world of the 21st Century."

Sounds like the opposite of anything I've ever done... ;)