Transportation to SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimpleS

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
going to SUNY for an interview on 3/04, landing at laguardia, hotel in jersey that's 6mi away from SUNY campus, and flying out on 3/06 from jfk, and I would like to see new york while I'm there. What's the best way to get around? Is their public transportation decent/easily navigated? I would imagine taking a cab everywhere I go would just be too expensive? What's the best option for me? Thanks! Any pointers will help!

Members don't see this ad.

taxi it to school, pick up a subway map and a day pass and enjoy!

going to SUNY for an interview on 3/04, landing at laguardia, hotel in jersey that's 6mi away from SUNY campus, and flying out on 3/06 from jfk, and I would like to see new york while I'm there. What's the best way to get around? Is their public transportation decent/easily navigated? I would imagine taking a cab everywhere I go would just be too expensive? What's the best option for me? Thanks! Any pointers will help!

From LGA you can either take:
1) Public bus to manhattan/queens and connect to the subway ($2 or buy an unlimited pass for the day)
2) Airport shuttle bus to grand central station ($15 i think)
3) Super shuttle/Airlink to your hotel/somewhere in manhatten to connect to your hotel (around $20)
4) Cab ($30 to school or $30-$40+, depending on where your hotel is)

I'm assuming your hotel is either close to a PATH train or the ferry to get to Manhattan, from there subway/bus will take you everywhere you need to go. So consider buying a day pass for the subway.

Getting from Manhattan to JFK: the best way is to Take the E train (towards queens) and connect to the AirTrain to JFK. Total: $7 (or $5 if you already bought an unlimited subway card for the day/week)
Alternatively there is a shuttle from grand central or the super shuttle/airlink services.

Finally, you could always take a cab to/from airports and around town but where's the fun in that =)

Edit: if you are flying in the morning of your interview take a cab.. don't stress yourself out with public transport

Members don't see this ad :)

Let me suggest you go with a hotel in midtown manhattan. It will be a bit more expensive, but will reduce your stressload immensely. Trying to get from LGA to New Jersey will be a nightmare. Then having to get back into the city and on to JFK will also be a mess. Stay in Midtown. Buses to and from LGA and JFK drop off right in front of Grand Central terminal which is very close to the SUNY campus.

Let me suggest you go with a hotel in midtown manhattan. It will be a bit more expensive, but will reduce your stressload immensely. Trying to get from LGA to New Jersey will be a nightmare. Then having to get back into the city and on to JFK will also be a mess. Stay in Midtown. Buses to and from LGA and JFK drop off right in front of Grand Central terminal which is very close to the SUNY campus.
I agree about getting a hotel in midtown to reduce the stress level -- try one of the discount travel sites to get a (cheaper) hotel in midtown or times square.