Transportation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enmeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Can anyone recommend any sites for finding cheap domestic flights? What about cheap bus trips?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,
Can anyone recommend any sites for finding cheap domestic flights? What about cheap bus trips?

Thanks

Cheap flights / hotels - kayak.com or cheapflights.com. If you have extra time, you can look for flights that aren't direct to your destination. For example, take a flight to Atlanta, then board another flight to Boston from there. Sometimes it's cheaper. Cheapflights should be able to check up on that for you.

Cheap buses? I guess megabus is the best but that's not super widely available. Greyhound / Amtrak (yes, trains) are your only other option. If the distance is far, I would strongly not recommend Greyhound or Amtrak because you might as well just drive.

Really, if possible, I've found that sleeping well and driving 10-12 hours a day in a car is the cheapest way with the quickest travel time. If you can, take a trusted friend (or family member) to help you drive. Use kayak to find hotels for cheap and pay close attention to the reviews. Try to schedule interviews as close to the weekend as possible so you don't have to take as many days off of work.

www.cheaptickets.com

Even though I could have driven to two of the interviews, I chose to fly instead. It just wasn't worth the added stress to me. I looked over notes and read on my flights and in airports, and rented a car everywhere. It was actually cheaper than taking cabs.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also check out Southwest.com, AirTran, and JetBlue. Southwest has a lot of cheap flights, and you can often find people selling their vouchers on Craigslist, etc. for less than $300.

Student Universe

(In Kayak select the "I am a student" option and it will include the Student Universe search in theirs.)