Transportations between bases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

metabolite

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was informed that base-to-base transportation is free and allowed? Could someone tell me more about that? i.e. I was wondering if I could take transportations on personal trip, and also if it's allowed between different branches of service (I didn't notice any AFB near NYC- my mom's). Signed up quite a few years of my life, so might as well enjoy all aspects!
 
You are probably referring to "space available" or "MAC" flights. Yes, technically, members of the military are allowed to fly for free on military transports. In practice, however, there are lots of impracticalities that make this very difficult to actually do. First, as you already noted, you have to be somewhere near an airbase that has flights to and from where you want to go. Secondly, it is "space available," meaning that they have to have space for you on the plane, and they DON'T take reservations. The schedule is subject to constant change, and delays and re-routings are common. You basically have to show up at the airbase on the day you want to travel and hope that they have a flight and let you on. That's very hard to do when you are on any kind of schedule. It's a nice idea on paper, and I do know a few people who have used the system extensively, but in 7 years in the Army, I myself have had absolutely zero luck ever using this system. Maybe some of the other active duty folks who post here can give us some advice on how to better take advantage of it.
- R-M-D 2-1-6