Transporting/discharging patients in a hospital: is this clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yazo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Basically I'm called via a pager to private patient rooms, ICU, ED, or post-operation rooms where I help patients into wheelchairs and I either bring them to different departments or help discharge them to the front entrance where their families are waiting. During this, I'm constantly making contact with them either by making small-talk or even helping them into the chair or their car.

Would this count as clinical experience? Thanks! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think?

100% serious question.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think?

100% serious question.
I genuinely think it's clinical, but I don't want to do it for 2 more years and then have some committee tell me it isn't.

I genuinely think it's clinical, but I don't want to do it for 2 more years and then have some committee tell me it isn't.

If a committee tells you its not, its likely you don't need their help nor would you want to go to their school.

If a committee tells you its not, its likely you don't need their help nor would you want to go to their school.
Thanks for the help! Sorry for asking the simplest questions on here, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. :)

You have to underscore the fact that you interacted with patients. The ADCOMM at my school i'm doing my SMP at told me that it clinical experience is shadowing physicians.

Reasonable question. You're not really seeing a doctor/nurse/other clinical staff do any procedure. But then again, volunteering in a hospital during undergrad, you're 75% of the time changing linens or getting things like warm blankets and soda for patients.

As LizzyM always says, "if you can smell the patients, then it's clinical experience."