Transporting/discharging patients in a hospital: is this clinical experience?

Yazo

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
Hi everyone.

Basically I'm called via a pager to private patient rooms, ICU, ED, or post-operation rooms where I help patients into wheelchairs and I either bring them to different departments or help discharge them to the front entrance where their families are waiting. During this, I'm constantly making contact with them either by making small-talk or even helping them into the chair or their car.

Would this count as clinical experience? Thanks! :luck:

OP
Yazo

Yazo

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
What do you think?

100% serious question.
I genuinely think it's clinical, but I don't want to do it for 2 more years and then have some committee tell me it isn't.

JustaDO

2+ Year Member
May 22, 2015
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I genuinely think it's clinical, but I don't want to do it for 2 more years and then have some committee tell me it isn't.
If a committee tells you its not, its likely you don't need their help nor would you want to go to their school.

OP
Yazo

Yazo

5+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2012
If a committee tells you its not, its likely you don't need their help nor would you want to go to their school.
Thanks for the help! Sorry for asking the simplest questions on here, but I just want to make sure I don't mess up. :)

bigindian4891

7+ Year Member
May 20, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Its a reasonable question.

Aug 1, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
You have to underscore the fact that you interacted with patients. The ADCOMM at my school i'm doing my SMP at told me that it clinical experience is shadowing physicians.

FutureOncologist

I support cancer... research
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reasonable question. You're not really seeing a doctor/nurse/other clinical staff do any procedure. But then again, volunteering in a hospital during undergrad, you're 75% of the time changing linens or getting things like warm blankets and soda for patients.

As LizzyM always says, "if you can smell the patients, then it's clinical experience."