Trauma drama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Looks like poaching of Cath lab/IR staff. Hospitals get big bucks from their respective counties to operate trauma centers. They should pass some of it onto their employees to retain staff.

B47020C5-261E-45CE-A4A1-570579B93A2F.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Looks like poaching of Cath lab/IR staff. Hospitals get big bucks from their respective counties to operate trauma centers. They should pass some of it onto their employees to retain staff.

Find it hard to believe so many staff members jump ship at the same time and the admin at ThedaCare didn't know about it beforehand. I'm sure negative sentiment was brewing a while, and probably they were aware they needed to pay their staff more but refused. Now they resort to legal action to stop the staff from quitting and working at a neighboring facility?

Reactions: 2 users
How much do you want to bet that the administration of that hospital didn’t do crap to recruit anybody over an extended period of time, or had the opportunity to keep staff by paying them a fairer wage. Now they want to cry to the local judge to fix the situation they failed to act upon.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i dont quite get it. clearly they can quit. at most court can stop other hospital from hiring immediately, but cant force the doctors to stay

i dont quite get it. clearly they can quit. at most court can stop other hospital from hiring immediately, but cant force the doctors to stay

I think it’s Cath lab/IR staff but they’re not indentured servants. They can quit whenever.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure what they’re expecting to achieve. Employees can quit. Even if they are in breach of contract (which they probably aren’t) the most you can hope for is monetary damages. Not forced labor.

The "big government is telling people where they can and can't work" folks need to calm their pants.

The judge blocked them from starting on a Thursday until a hearing the next Monday morning. It's 4 days (including a weekend). Lawyers need time to prepare for hearings. This is the legal equivalent of us postponing a surgery for a few hours until the patient is better optimized.

Clickbait.

Not sure what they’re expecting to achieve. Employees can quit. Even if they are in breach of contract (which they probably aren’t) the most you can hope for is monetary damages. Not forced labor.

They were at will. They didn’t even breach a contract. If anything, they probably needed to give 2weeks notice which I’m sure they did.

Last edited:
This is just a distraction from the hospital being unwilling to create a better work environment or pay more. All too common these days. They probably plan to use overpriced travelers for years on end instead of just doing the right thing for qualified possible employees in their own community that would be proud to work at their town's hospital. Everyone talks about this with covid but this was a problem long before covid. I still don't understand how they end up keeping their jobs as admin? Probably just jump ship too fast for anyone to notice they actually cost the company money not helped it by stiffing the initial employees.

Reactions: 6 users
This is just a distraction from the hospital being unwilling to create a better work environment or pay more. All too common these days. They probably plan to use overpriced travelers for years on end instead of just doing the right thing for qualified possible employees in their own community that would be proud to work at their town's hospital. Everyone talks about this with covid but this was a problem long before covid. I still don't understand how they end up keeping their jobs as admin? Probably just jump ship too fast for anyone to notice they actually cost the company money not helped it by stiffing the initial employees.
It may very well be a rational decision on the part of administration. If they cave and raise salaries for this group of RNs and techs, they will be under pressure to do the same for other groups within the system.

The "big government is telling people where they can and can't work" folks need to calm their pants.

The judge blocked them from starting on a Thursday until a hearing the next Monday morning. It's 4 days (including a weekend). Lawyers need time to prepare for hearings. This is the legal equivalent of us postponing a surgery for a few hours until the patient is better optimized.

Clickbait.
Not even a close comparison. Judge should be able to look at the situation and acknowledge ThedaCare has no right and this is a frivolous lawsuit.

This is more like you postponing surgery in someone who's appropriately NPO because a friend asked you to.

Find it hard to believe so many staff members jump ship at the same time and the admin at ThedaCare didn't know about it beforehand. I'm sure negative sentiment was brewing a while, and probably they were aware they needed to pay their staff more but refused. Now they resort to legal action to stop the staff from quitting and working at a neighboring facility?

There's so many layers of abstraction between management and those who actually do the work in healthcare, that it is not inconceivable to me that they had no idea.

There's so many layers of abstraction between management and those who actually do the work in healthcare, that it is not inconceivable to me that they had no idea.
The CEO is a freaking MD. The medical board should reprimand him

The whole thing is a PR disaster. Will see how they will be able to recruit staff now

The whole thing is a PR disaster. Will see how they will be able to recruit staff now
Absolutely. Underpaying and mistreating staff then legally trapping them to force work out of them. What a great look.

It may very well be a rational decision on the part of administration. If they cave and raise salaries for this group of RNs and techs, they will be under pressure to do the same for other groups within the system.
What happens if the cath lab gets shut down and then they sue to create a pr disaster marking them as the worst employer in the country? Was that a better move?

The people running that hospital are practicing corporate malfeasance, absolutely incapable of competently running a hospital. In what scenario of rising labor shortages do you play hardball with your staff when they ask for a raise as a group and even show you your competitors offer and ask you to match. We’ll see if they suffer any consequences but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Reactions: 3 users
One thing is certain, Thedacare will not be able to recruit new staff without matching Ascension’s offer.
We should just go an interview with ThedaCare and state, ‘I really like this job offer, but Ascension is offering me 750K and 12weeks off.’ (And we don’t even have to actually interview at Ascension , though I guess the anesthesiology groups are probably separate entities from the hospital, but you guys catch my drift…)