Trauma physical therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTlife2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do physical therapists respond to a trauma in the hospital? I think trauma is an interesting field and can't fine much about the pts role in a trauma.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a small number of PTs who work in the emergency department, seeing patients who are coming in with acute issues that are within the scope of PT but who aren't not experiencing a true medical emergency. This is a very cool model that I hope continues to grow in the future. The ED physicians and other providers can ask for PT consult on pts coming in with acute back pain, ankle sprain, neck pain, wound care needs, vestibular problems (especially BPPV), other ortho issues that can be dealt with by PT, balance and falls problems, assistive device prescription & training, etc. This frees up the time of the rest of the ED staff to focus on pts who actually need to be in an emergency room, and also lets the PT really magnify their differential diagnosis and patient education skills, which are areas that PTs are really strong in (as long as it is something within PT scope of course). There are only a few dozen hospitals around the country that have these programs at this point, but the number is growing all the time.

So yes, to an extent PTs respond to trauma, but not really trauma in the way you are probably picturing it. When people are experiencing truly life-threatening trauma, there isn't as much of a role for PT until they are stabilized. Critical care PT is also an ever-growing area too, which is the post-trauma care where PTs are getting involved earlier and earlier all the time. Lots of good evidence to show early mobilization and PT intervention in the critical care setting reduces length of stay, re-admissions, ventilator-dependent days, etc. etc.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I see patients in the ED for simple things like A.D. needs, balance, recommend imaging, patient placement, etc.

I walk the opposite way of codes, if that's what you're referring to.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see patients in the ED for simple things like A.D. needs, balance, recommend imaging, patient placement, etc.

I walk the opposite way of codes, if that's what you're referring to.

Do you work full time in the ED or are you primarily on other floors? Does your hospital have a formal ED PT program or is it just occasional calls to bounce down there?

Do you work full time in the ED or are you primarily on other floors? Does your hospital have a formal ED PT program or is it just occasional calls to bounce down there?
Just occasional calls, no formal program. I work at a small community hospital.

Reactions: 1 user
Just occasional calls, no formal program. I work at a small community hospital.

Cool. I really hope more and more hospitals develop ED PT programs. Seems like a very promising area.

Last edited:
I am currently in my first clinical rotation, and just spent a day with an ER PT last week. I am at a large county metropolitan hospital that has a formal ER PT program. There are 3 PT's that work in this ER, and 4 PT's that work at another ER in the city. Both are Level 1 Trauma ER's. I must say that it was a fantastic experience. Like all have said, it is not like you are running in with the MDs and nurses when a GSW patient rolls in. It is actually more closely aligned with outpatient practice than inpatient in terms of how you bill for treatment, and use of diagnostic skills.

Apparently, formal ER PT programs are pretty rare with only 20-30 formal programs in the entire country, and usually require a good deal of experience in multiple areas (ortho, neuro, etc.). The PT I was with has been practicing as an ER PT for 10 years, and is involved in promoting and sort of advocating for formal ER PT programs, and has compiled data and done research that he presented at CSM this year about the benefits of ER PT treatment. It was interesting stuff. (Sorry I don't have a link or copy of the diagrams!)

Reactions: 1 user