Travel Before Starting Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

37Base

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR; everyone keeps telling me to travel before school starts but I don't really feel like it. Will I regret it if I don't?

-----

I am starting med school in mid-July of this year. All of the providers I work with are telling me to take some time and travel before school and that I'll really regret it if I don't.

I am considering flying to several cities across the country and spending a few nights with a few close friends as they're scattered about. But honestly I'm feeling so lazy and it's almost starting to feel like a chore at this point.

Now I like to travel in general and I have some money saved up so it is a possibility, but i can't shake this apprehension and im procrastinating on booking my tickets which feels like a sign.

Anyone have similar feelings before med school?

Any current students regret not traveling?

Members don't see this ad.

They are telling you to travel because you will basically be tied up for the next 7-10 years with school and residency. You get some breaks but generally are just long enough to rest, not long enough to do anything fun.

I start medical school shortly, and if I currently had the funds, I'd probably be in Europe or Asia or some sort of traveler's destination. While I can't afford a lot of travel, I'll definitely be scraping pennies together to go see some friends around the country.

Personally, I quit my job early to have a few free months to travel and to do nothing, realizing that here shortly, there won't be much time for either for a long time.

It sounds as though you're still working. Do you feel like the thought of travel feels like a chore because you have work responsibilites? Before I quit my job, I was often too exhausted to want to do much more than chill after work. Now that I'm not working, I have plenty of time and want nothing more than to hop on a plane to see some friends and live it up. If it's a work thing, I would suggest quitting sooner rather than later and enjoying some more time to yourself.

You said you do like travel and have the funds, so since it's possible, do you think you would really regret traveling if you decided to do it? It might seem like a chore now, but I think seeing your friends would be worth it once you did it.

Ultimately do what's going to make you the happiest between now and when school starts. :) There really won't be many breaks for a while, so whether you decide to travel or stay where you are, make sure you're enjoying yourself!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I too am starting med school, and I went to: Dubai, Turkey, and all over America. It was one of the best experiences of my life. If you dont want to travel, then dont. You dont have to lol, but it might be fun!

You answered your own question.
You won't get to travel much for a while so if you want to, go for it! But if it "sounds like a chore" you're probably better off relaxing and saving your money.

I start medical school shortly, and if I currently had the funds, I'd probably be in Europe or Asia or some sort of traveler's destination. While I can't afford a lot of travel, I'll definitely be scraping pennies together to go see some friends around the country.

Personally, I quit my job early to have a few free months to travel and to do nothing, realizing that here shortly, there won't be much time for either for a long time.

It sounds as though you're still working. Do you feel like the thought of travel feels like a chore because you have work responsibilites? Before I quit my job, I was often too exhausted to want to do much more than chill after work. Now that I'm not working, I have plenty of time and want nothing more than to hop on a plane to see some friends and live it up. If it's a work thing, I would suggest quitting sooner rather than later and enjoying some more time to yourself.

You said you do like travel and have the funds, so since it's possible, do you think you would really regret traveling if you decided to do it? It might seem like a chore now, but I think seeing your friends would be worth it once you did it.

Ultimately do what's going to make you the happiest between now and when school starts. :) There really won't be many breaks for a while, so whether you decide to travel or stay where you are, make sure you're enjoying yourself!

Thanks for the response everyone. I think you're right. I'm just feeling really lazy but once I get that ball rolling and make it happen it will be worth it

TLDR; everyone keeps telling me to travel before school starts but I don't really feel like it. Will I regret it if I don't?

-----

I am starting med school in mid-July of this year. All of the providers I work with are telling me to take some time and travel before school and that I'll really regret it if I don't.

I am considering flying to several cities across the country and spending a few nights with a few close friends as they're scattered about. But honestly I'm feeling so lazy and it's almost starting to feel like a chore at this point.

Now I like to travel in general and I have some money saved up so it is a possibility, but i can't shake this apprehension and im procrastinating on booking my tickets which feels like a sign.

I have spent close to 10K so far going to Disneyland in both Anaheim and Orlando, Vietnam, and South Korea. I'm expecting to spend another 4-5K in 2 weeks going to Japan. This is with a family of four. If you're single, it's criminal not to travel before the start of your school year considering the relative cheapness of plane tickets nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
You'll regret not drinking a couple of margaritas by the beach in Cancun the day after orientation lol You should probably spend a week or so of just doing nothing, and then go and celebrate.

I'm in Switzerland right now lol. Yes, I think you'll regret it. It will be good to have something recent to look back on that you enjoyed when you're stressed out and actually take small breaks away from work in medical school. A small mental escape to maintain your sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

-----

WITHOUT A DOUBT.
Go travel and have fun, before you give your soul to medical school for the next 8-10 years of your life.

Too many medical students regretting they didn't go travel before medical school

Reactions: 1 user
They are telling you to travel because you will basically be tied up for the next 7-10 years with school and residency. You get some breaks but generally are just long enough to rest, not long enough to do anything fun.

I actually have done more traveling during med school and intern year then I did in my previous career, ha. I've saved my money and planned my vacations correctly. For example, we could pick our shifts for our ED rotation this year, so I scheduled them to have 4.5 days off in a row and hit the road to Mexico, on top of my other 4 weeks of scheduled vacation (travelled during all of those too).

Op, anyway my point is, if you don't want to travel now, it's not the end of the road to never travelling again.

One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten along the journey is don't stop living life and doing the things you love waiting for things to get better. During med school you'll think it really sucks and can't wait to be a resident, during residency it'll suck and you can't wait to be an attending. Then you'll be an attending ...and it'll still suck (to some degree)

You get my point. Med school isn't all doom and gloom like some people make it seem. Have fun when you can!

Reactions: 2 users

-----

Not everyone likes to travel. The point is to do something you enjoy before you can't anymore