Travel vs Photography: which is the better EC?

Started by mmmedical
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mmmedical

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently debating on which *I'm a person outside of work/research/school* activity to include on my application. My options are:
  • Travel
    • I studied abroad for 6 weeks and backpacked for another 6 one summer. It was definitely formative and I learned a lot about other cultures and myself
    • I know traveling can come off the wrong way
    • I definitely have more travel experience and interesting stories that would be great topics of conversation for interviews (not all of it is glamorous)
    • Cool experiences to reference (learning to surf, getting lost hiking in a foreign country, etc)

  • Photography
    • more niche??
    • Have less experience and is much more of a hobby
    • I do have a photography social media account and plan on taking a class at my community college during my gap year
    • I feel like I'd have less to talk about if it was brought up in an interview

Anyone on admissions have any strong opinions on this?
 
Reading this I am reminded of Dr. Perri Klass who is a pediatrician and author. She backpacked through Europe as a very young woman and wrote about it at some point. She is a graduate of Harvard Med and now professor of Pediatrics and Journalism at NYU. While I don't know if it was the topic of her admissions application, if done well it can be memorable in a good way.