Traveling to SUNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobsacamenoh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found an airline - jetblue - that is "cheap" from Oakland, CA to JFK. Any hotel suggestions? Looking for something within walking distance or a short cab ride. I will be interviewing on a Monday in January. I plan to stay Saturday and Sunday night and return Monday night. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bobsacamenoh said:
I found an airline - jetblue - that is "cheap" from Oakland, CA to JFK. Any hotel suggestions? Looking for something within walking distance or a short cab ride. I will be interviewing on a Monday in January. I plan to stay Saturday and Sunday night and return Monday night. Thanks.
Check around on priceline.com or travelocity.com -- hotel rates can be so variable, with travel sites sometimes you can find a better deal than by just calling up individual hotels. You've also got your stay timed well -- by staying over on the weekend you'll avoid business traveller rates. If you find something and aren't sure how nice it is, PM me.

If you want to stay near SUNY, look for anything in Times Square or Midtown. Times Square will probably have the best deals, and it's just a few blocks walk from SUNY.

Good luck! :)

I just interviewed in NY on Nov 8th and stayed in midtown manhattan really close to Times Square. We stayed at the Paramount Hotel. It is a really close walk to the school 10-15 mins. Its pretty nice..31/2 star..the rooms are really small but affordable (relative to other hotel is nY)
Enjoy NY!

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention that the admissions office has a list of places they recommend, too.

(The Paramount is nice. :))

Could anyone comment on the living costs of going to SUNY? THings like room and board. I know the school gives a max living and board financial figure for loan purposes, but how much do you really use?

stompy said:
Could anyone comment on the living costs of going to SUNY? THings like room and board. I know the school gives a max living and board financial figure for loan purposes, but how much do you really use?
I'm not a very good person to answer this because I'm in a different situation than most students, but I think a typical student pays somewhere between $800-$1200/month on rent. Living expenses are higher here than other places -- for example, if you choose to eat out every day, it'll cost you $8 a pop. It is possible to live cheaply here, though, the biggest expense you'll have is rent if you economize. Commuting (subway/bus) will cost you about $80/month.

I would recommend living in Queens or one of the other boroughs and commute to suny. Cost of living in Manhattan is very expensive. I lived in a 3 bedroom 2 bath in Queens for about 1300/month.

christie said:
I would recommend living in Queens or one of the other boroughs and commute to suny. Cost of living in Manhattan is very expensive. I lived in a 3 bedroom 2 bath in Queens for about 1300/month.

Is that a single room for $1300/month in Queens?

no, for the whole apartment :)

I don't know how true they are but I've heard tons of stories about how unsafe New York is. What would be the safest area around SUNY that you could commute from?

I-Ball

New York is one of the safer cities to live in, these days. You could live just about anywhere -- definitely anywhere in Manhattan -- and you'll be fine. A lot of students live in Queens, but I'm not sure where exactly. You're more likely to run into "sketchy" areas in the other boroughs (i.e. out of Manhattan).

NYC is very safe...esp Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. Bronx is fine, but I wouldn't recommend living there.

I live in Philly now, and I feel more unsafe here than NYC.

It's good to know it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. I live at home in a relatively small city and go to a commuter university so the thought of moving to New York all of a sudden is kid of like whoa...

christie said:
NYC is very safe...esp Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island. Bronx is fine, but I wouldn't recommend living there.

I live in Philly now, and I feel more unsafe here than NYC.
I used to live in Baltimore years ago, and I feel a *lot* more comfortable in NYC than I did there (or in Philly, for that matter!).

I-Ball said:
It's good to know it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. I live at home in a relatively small city and go to a commuter university so the thought of moving to New York all of a sudden is kid of like whoa...
Living in a big city is definitely a switch from living in a small one. I lived in the suburbs before moving here, so it was a bit of an adjustment at first to get used to it. Personally, I love living in the city now -- I love being able to walk everywhere, and the convenience of having things so close by and accessible. There's also just so much more to see and do here than there was in the 'burbs, not that I get to do any of it because I always seem to be at *school*. :( ;)

Just wondering, if I push my interview date to early February instead, would that significantly hurt my chances? I am starting a new job and if I take off in January, it would only be a month at the company. Any advice on taking days off with a new company?

bobsacamenoh said:
Just wondering, if I push my interview date to early February instead, would that significantly hurt my chances? I am starting a new job and if I take off in January, it would only be a month at the company. Any advice on taking days off with a new company?
Preferably, you would have let your new job know at the time you accepted the offer that you had made prior plans to take off a couple days in January -- but if you haven't started yet, you could still tell them now about it.