Traveling veterinarian?

Started by neocia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neocia

Class of 2019
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does a veterinarian take the NAVLE in every state they wish to practice in? Do traveling vets - doing programs like R-Vets, service work on reservations, etc. - take the NAVLE again for each state they travel? On that same note, if you volunteer (as a vet) on an abroad trip like VIDA, do you have to take a veterinary board equivalent to do service work in another country like Costa Rica or Belize?

Thank you!
 
Does a veterinarian take the NAVLE in every state they wish to practice in? Do traveling vets - doing programs like R-Vets, service work on reservations, etc. - take the NAVLE again for each state they travel? On that same note, if you volunteer (as a vet) on an abroad trip like VIDA, do you have to take a veterinary board equivalent to do service work in another country like Costa Rica or Belize?

Thank you!

For a reservation - that's not technically state soil, so it doesn't matter what state it's in because you're not practicing in it: so no state boards. I don't know about overseas work for things like VIDA. I would be very stunned if you have to do something like take boards to go work on a VIDA trip, but I don't know what the actual requirements are. Probably that the trip is overseen by a veterinarian who is boarded in the locality in question or something like that.

(NAVLE is nat'l, as cowgirla pointed out. I wasn't clear when I originally posted, but I was remarking on state-required boards.)
 
Last edited:
You only have to pass NAVLE once- it's national. (Exception is if you are years out of school and let your license lapse, etc.). You may or may not need a state license in each state, some of which require separate exams. Usually there are loopholes for volunteer work or less than X days in a period of time for disaster relief, things like that. Some states also have reciprocal licensing. so it all depends on what exactly you are trying to do.
 
Thank you!

I spoke with a retired veterinarian who was volunteering as a guest engagement docent at a wildlife rehabilitation center. I asked him if he ever volunteered to do clinic work with the center, as opposed to "just" docent volunteering and he said he wasn't licensed in this state. I am guessing his license expired though since he'd been retired for 10+ years?

Thank you for the clarification though!