Traveling While in School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfline

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering if any current dental students have found success in traveling internationally while in dental school. I understand there is not a whole lot of time off during school, but I'm hoping some people could chime in on how they made it work.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Went abroad over spring break on some mission trip. Some friends went international for vacations during that time period. Don't think it's too hard if money permits it.

If you have finances, you can always make time even for a week. During the summer, I went 2 weeks to Japan and Korea and another week in Germany.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

I was wondering if any current dental students have found success in traveling internationally while in dental school. I understand there is not a whole lot of time off during school, but I'm hoping some people could chime in on how they made it work.

Thanks in advance!

What are you wondering about in terms of making it work?

If you have finances, you can always make time even for a week. During the summer, I went 2 weeks to Japan and Korea and another week in Germany.

Which country did you enjoy the most?

Which country did you enjoy the most?

Honestly all of them. Loved the uniqueness of each country which differs from America. I really suggest you travel as much as you can as it opens your eyes to a lot of things. It's also something you can talk with your patients about as well!

Reactions: 1 user
"Travel" is just consumerism. To be sure - enjoy yourself - but let's not pretend it is an efficient, cost effective, or authentic way to broaden your horizons. Just my 2 cents.

OP, if you have the desire and the cash you will have the time while in dental school.

Last edited:
Studied abroad and traveled outside of school and one money savy tip that I was given and has helped was to get a credit card that either is good for traveling or a good cashback card. You can use big dental school expenses to rack up points to use for travel (also assuming you have the funds to buy these things in the first place.) I used my card my DAT and DAT study materials which gave me enough points to travel to Germany (2xs), Ireland, and England during my study abroad. Same with applications, went to England and Scotland on all those points.

Studied abroad and traveled outside of school and one money savy tip that I was given and has helped was to get a credit card that either is good for traveling or a good cashback card. You can use big dental school expenses to rack up points to use for travel (also assuming you have the funds to buy these things in the first place.) I used my card my DAT and DAT study materials which gave me enough points to travel to Germany (2xs), Ireland, and England during my study abroad. Same with applications, went to England and Scotland on all those points.

This reminds me - open up a Charles schwab account. They reimburse all ATM fees by other banks (domestic or international) and they don’t charge you any fees themselves.

You will likely have several weeks off to do as you wish your 3rd and 4th year. Most people use this time to go travel to externships. You can do whatever with your time.

Last edited:
I’m all for traveling, but for some reason my blood boils when I see dental students traveling all through Europe on loan money. Give it back if you don’t need it for school!!! SMH — if you have your own money though, it’s a great way to rejuvenate yourself, and get back some motivation between 1 and 2 years.

I’m all for traveling, but for some reason my blood boils when I see dental students traveling all through Europe on loan money. Give it back if you don’t need it for school!!! SMH — if you have your own money though, it’s a great way to rejuvenate yourself, and get back some motivation between 1 and 2 years.
ehh it's their money. who cares. Some people just aren't smart about money and then whine and cry when they see others that are in the same field buying a huge home with expensive cars. You have to save your money people!! I am so cheap when it comes to money but that's the only way I'm going to pay for school quickly. btw this isn't directed to OP :). this was just a general thought that popped into my head

Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

I traveled extensively throughout school, residency, and being an attending. I did not attend dental school so I am unfamiliar with its structure. However there should be some time, possibly during the end of school to make something happen. I went to Nepal for 6 weeks as part of a 4th year research elective and participated in a research project in the Mt. Everest region. Cost of living was cheap, actually cheaper than if I was hanging out in the states.

I did 3 medical missions during residency and these were 5-7 days, usually at a very low cost to me. I went to Honduras, Thailand, and Jamaica.

Once I finished training, I worked for doctors without borders and then lived and worked in New Zealand.

Nicely played. Keep churning those points.

Vs those who feel it's irresponsible to indulge in travel as a student on loans: consider that waiting till later will likely be drastically more expensive.

If you're an employee, you'll earn nothing while off work (inherent expense of $2K or 3K per week in lost income for as long as you're gone). If you're an owner it's much worse: closing the office for even as little as one week may demolish your profit margin for the entire MONTH (inherent expense of perhaps tens of thousands of dollars a week for taking time off). This is what people mean by "golden handcuffs." Once you graduate, you may find the opportunity cost of taking time off to travel becomes hard to justify.

Not to mention you may have a family by then, which also makes intrepid travel exponentially more difficult. So, RIGHT NOW is the best possible time for you to travel, even if you have to do it on student loans. Just travel frugally and have fun, no apologies needed. Youth hostels vs hotels, etc.... more of an adventure that way anyhow.

You mean you would rather see them spending it on beer?

Vs those who feel it's irresponsible to indulge in travel as a student on loans: consider that waiting till later will likely be drastically more expensive.

If you're an employee, you'll earn nothing while off work (inherent expense of $2K or 3K per week in lost income for as long as you're gone). If you're an owner it's much worse: closing the office for even as little as one week may demolish your profit margin for the entire MONTH (inherent expense of perhaps tens of thousands of dollars a week for taking time off). This is what people mean by "golden handcuffs." Once you graduate, you may find the opportunity cost of taking time off to travel becomes hard to justify.

Not to mention you may have a family by then, which also makes intrepid travel exponentially more difficult. So, RIGHT NOW is the best possible time for you to travel, even if you have to do it on student loans. Just travel frugally and have fun, no apologies needed. Youth hostels vs hotels, etc.... more of an adventure that way anyhow.

At least in theory you are making enough money to actually save for vacations, with the knowledge that you are going to have to shut down for a week or 10 days. To me the difference is that your vacation is paid for with your money, and not something that will accrue interest at a 6-8% rate. It's just not smart. I don't know about you, but most of the dentists I know that are out for a few years aren't having too many problems taking a week or two off per year.

I have traveled quite a bit, you just have to go during your breaks, like summer, winter, and during graduation (at my school we get a whole week off for commencement ceremonies. I went to Nepal last summer for 2 weeks for an externship. Winter 2017 I went to Egypt and Jordan (to visit Petra), May 2018 Iceland and France, July 2018 I hiked Macchu Picchu in Peru and spent a few days in Colombia. Between Iceland and Peru I studied (while attending summer clinics) and passed part 2 of the national boards (which I found out while hiking down a mountain). It’s very doable, you just have to have money, time, and time management.