1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Travelling Internationally and Volunteering while in Pharm.D program?

Discussion in 'Pharmacy' started by FlyingMantis, Aug 14, 2011.

1. FlyingMantis

7+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm in a 6 year Pharm.D program and I am interested in traveling to underprivileged countries to volunteer in clinics for experience. For example, central america, africa, south america, etc.. I wouldn't mind working with Doctors, or Nurses. Are there such opportunities for pharmacy students? If so, do you know of any specific ones available to Pharm.D students?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. owlegrad

owlegrad Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
    Staff Member Administrator Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yes! I did this in my second year and will be doing it again this year, as a rotation no less!

I highly recommend it. If your school has an IPSF chapter, start there. :thumbup:

EDIT: If you have any questions, you won't find it hard to get me to talk about myself and perhaps answer your questions in the process.

4. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    You might have some opportunities through your school, though they might not be well advertised. I know of a person at my school (USP) that went to Africa, I think with one of our professors to do this type of stuff. If all else fails, there's always the IPSF student exchange. Not doctors without borders, but I think a good opportunity nonetheless.