Travelling Internationally and Volunteering while in Pharm.D program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FlyingMantis

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in a 6 year Pharm.D program and I am interested in traveling to underprivileged countries to volunteer in clinics for experience. For example, central america, africa, south america, etc.. I wouldn't mind working with Doctors, or Nurses. Are there such opportunities for pharmacy students? If so, do you know of any specific ones available to Pharm.D students?
 
I'm in a 6 year Pharm.D program and I am interested in traveling to underprivileged countries to volunteer in clinics for experience. For example, central america, africa, south america, etc.. I wouldn't mind working with Doctors, or Nurses. Are there such opportunities for pharmacy students? If so, do you know of any specific ones available to Pharm.D students?

Yes! I did this in my second year and will be doing it again this year, as a rotation no less!

I highly recommend it. If your school has an IPSF chapter, start there. 👍

EDIT: If you have any questions, you won't find it hard to get me to talk about myself and perhaps answer your questions in the process.
 
You might have some opportunities through your school, though they might not be well advertised. I know of a person at my school (USP) that went to Africa, I think with one of our professors to do this type of stuff. If all else fails, there's always the IPSF student exchange. Not doctors without borders, but I think a good opportunity nonetheless.