Travelling to Interviews With Pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KlimtOphile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a Great Dane and a siamese cat. The cat I can leave at home no problem for like a week, but the dog I can't. Also, I can't afford the dog-sitting services. I am planning on road-tripping with "Napoleon" and asking a first year med student to watch him either at their apartment or in the car while I interview.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

LOL, is the dog housebroken? :)

What about friends or family watching the dog? As a last resort, you could throw a vest an harness on him and pretend that he is your seeing eye dog. Tell the interviewers that you are very interested in opthomology.

Members don't see this ad :)
KlimtOphile said:
I have a Great Dane and a siamese cat. The cat I can leave at home no problem for like a week, but the dog I can't. Also, I can't afford the dog-sitting services. I am planning on road-tripping with "Napoleon" and asking a first year med student to watch him either at their apartment or in the car while I interview.

Do any of you have any experience with this?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

now I've heard everything.

1 post? yea it's a troll. no one would make their only post be about a dog...or would they?

wow the trolls are running rampant today! :thumbup:

Psycho Doctor said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

now I've heard everything.

1 post? yea it's a troll. no one would make their only post be about a dog...or would they?

wow the trolls are running rampant today! :thumbup:

Wow, that kind of sucks. You jump right to conclusions about this person when his/her concern is really legitimate.

:thumbdown:

eralza said:
What about friends or family watching the dog? As a last resort, you could throw a vest an harness on him and pretend that he is your seeing eye dog. Tell the interviewers that you are very interested in opthomology.

No offense to anyone, but that's a good one! :laugh:

Tra La La said:
Wow, that kind of sucks. You jump right to conclusions about this person when his/her concern is really legitimate.

:thumbdown:

maybe but i seriously doubt it as do the rest of the posters.

:confused: i can never understand the VERY few times I have ever called anyone a troll someone has to jump all over me; Normally I give people the benefit of the doubt; why aren't you jumping all over everyone else when they call people trolls, especially times when it doesn't turn out to be a real troll? :confused:

Psycho Doctor said:

:confused: i can never understand the VERY few times I have ever called anyone a troll someone has to jump all over me; Normally I give people the benefit of the doubt; why aren't you jumping all over everyone else when they call people trolls, especially times when it doesn't turn out to be a real troll? :confused:

In my opinion (I have 2 dogs and love them to death btw), you have an interview to med school, surely you have one person that can watch your dog for week, even if it means going to your place a few times a day to give the dog some water, food and a bathroom break. I can understand your concern if you did this and giving someone your key. Do you work, maybe you can ask your co workers.

Otherwise, if you end up taking your dog with you. Leave the dog in the car with the windows cracked while you interview, after the interview go back to the car and let the dog potty and whatnot and then continue on with the tour of the school.

Or, if the dog is crate trained, bring the crate, set it up where you are staying and leave the dog in there. Only if your dog is already crate trained.

While there was a joke cracked to put a vest on your dog to make it a service dog for the day, great idea, illegal, but don't really do it, unless you live in San Francisco where you can now get a license for your dog to be a service dog if you are depressed! even a little lap dog, how cool is that? If only I lived on that side of the bridge.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you chose. Troll or no Troll.

Psycho Doctor said:

awww :( Tra La La just doesn't know you... the rest of us stil think you're a sweetheart :love:

and tra la la, the OP could really be a troll....

klimtOphile: if you're actually serious, try asking a friend to watch your dog for a few days in return for a nice dinner or something

tinkerbelle said:
awww :( Tra La La just doesn't know you... the rest of us stil think you're a sweetheart :love:

and tra la la, the OP could really be a troll....

klimtOphile: if you're actually serious, try asking a friend to watch your dog for a few days in return for a nice dinner or something

thanks tinkerbelle :love:

and i agree about the dinner.

never ever leave a dog in a car. :(

Psycho Doctor said:
thanks tinkerbelle :love:

and i agree about the dinner.

never ever leave a dog in a car. :(

WOW, that thread really sparked some debate on here! Thank you tra la la for defending me. LOL Unfortunately, I just joined a couple days ago, and a friend of mine introduced me to this site, he posted that thread about pets as a joke. I apologize for wasting your time and empathy! I appreciate your responses. I'm actually a pre-med taking the mcat in april. I didn't really know how this site worked, I'm still learning. All of my later posts have been totally legit, i swear!
But seriously though, I do have some pets, 4 red-eared slider turtles - actually "miney" just died, but "eenie", "meenie", and "mo" are doing just fine...don't think I'll be bringing them to any future interviews!
*me* :thumbup:

KlimtOphile said:
WOW, that thread really sparked some debate on here! Thank you tra la la for defending me. LOL Unfortunately, I just joined a couple days ago, and a friend of mine introduced me to this site, he posted that thread about pets as a joke. I apologize for wasting your time and empathy! I appreciate your responses. I'm actually a pre-med taking the mcat in april. I didn't really know how this site worked, I'm still learning. All of my later posts have been totally legit, i swear!
But seriously though, I do have some pets, 4 red-eared slider turtles - actually "miney" just died, but "eenie", "meenie", and "mo" are doing just fine...don't think I'll be bringing them to any future interviews!

While we say no question is a stupid question, in the future, try and avoid post like this. :idea:

KlimtOphile said:
ok so you're not a troll but your post is a troll post and your friend is the troll. I did later check your other posts and saw you seemed legit as a pre-med student. best of luck.

Psycho Doctor said:
ok so you're not a troll but your post is a troll post and your friend is the troll. I did later check your other posts and saw you seemed legit as a pre-med student. best of luck.

Thank you ! :) :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: