• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

New Doc

10+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey,
I am Pre med student wanting to pursue a career in plastic surgery. But I have a tremor in my hands. The tremor is not to bad and if I can so much as touch one finger to a steady surface it is not noticable. Should I start looking into other fields or is this not that much of a problem?

kaineliu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2002
Seattle
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Don't let that deter you from pursuing surgery as a career. Everyone has some degree of physiologic tremor and most are able to compensate by proper bracing. A fundamental of microsurgery is to set up your field so your upper extremities are braced as distally as possible without limiting range of motion. Do well in med school and if you still like plastics, go for it.

About the Ads

Krazykritter

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I hear that a lot of people also use a Beta-blocker. Anyone comment on the effectiveness of this?? I imagine it's more effective for a nervous tremor, but wonder if anyone has experience w/ these.

eldo

10+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
Beta blockers are used more for essential tremor (more of neurological movement disorder) than a physiological tremor. EtOH is also effective in that pt population but might not be great if you are going to operate. Most people can control a physiologic (nervous) tremor.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.