I think this is where people who've never trained have this misconception about how much difference there is in training. There is a HUGE amount of overlap b/w surgery and plastic surgery, especially with breast, body, burn, wound care, soft tissue infection, and reconstructive surgery cases (pediatric and hand cases not so much).
This past week I did maybe 8 skin cancers, two breast reductions, a skin graft, two abdominplasties, and took back an infected total knee prosthesis twice for debridements. All of these areas were pretty much part and parcel of my surgery training (a reduction and a mastectomy are fairly similar) before I ever did Plastic Surgery. I do some of these operations <i>better</i> now, but the point is how much of an overlap there is.
The trade-off with the integrateds (as I see it) is that
1.you're getting thrust into some pretty technically advanced procedures while having signifigantly less technical experience (compared to fully trained surgeons or ENT's) prior. Junior-level plastic surgery resident technical endeavors is just not the same thing
2. in the traditional model you've pretty much eliminated most of the marginal people thru their preliminary training. With the integrateds you have a lot less data to look at to pick you residents. This is more a problem for the programs then the applicants
The integrated model is clearly superior to me for the length of didactics. There is just such a collection of peripherally-related areas in Plastic Surgery to be familiar with. However, this is really something I think is important only in the sense of passing the initial board exams. It is impossible to really practice the whole range of Plastic Surgery anymore. The recert. exam that is now mandated every 10 years has recognized this and allowed the people taking select one of 3-4 modules that focuses on their area (cosmetic, hand, reconstructive)