Triage strategies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think my worst problem is I suck at passing on passages, so I waste my time and get caught up on a passage I should pass on. Can you think of ways to improve this. In BS I do mostly all the bio first and then go back to do all the OCHEM. Do you think that is a good way to work PS too, Physics and GChem seperately? I also was hoping for a great way to get through verbal? Thanks for any advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have one problem with your strategy; you will waste a lot of time sifting through the questions/passages to find the questions that deal with a particular topic. I would suggest working straight through, but work swiftly. Limit the time you spend on each question.

I don't know about your triaging methodology. I agree with BisMuOxo; i think you waste too much time evaluatiing where each passage falls in your system. I just go thru them and try not to spend too much time on any one passage. if i get stuck i answer them as best as possible and indicate it on my booklet to go back to them. At least this way i'd get thru everything including what may turn out to be the easier questions that i may not have gotten to if i spent too much time doing something else. i almost always finish the tests without a problem and often even can go back to the passages which gave me difficulty the first time thru.

Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. That is probably a good way to do them. I was doing that for awhile and then switched to the triage method, but may in fact switch back as you guys have said. Thanks for the advice and good luck on the real deal in a few weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
triage sucks! its like the one thing i hate about the kaplan way ..WTFDFDFH i dont want to spend precious time deciding what i like and dont like..I DONT LIKE ANY PART OF THE EXAM...i just get mean on myself and go " ok dumbo u just spent 15 mins on this lets move on "...u haveto be tough with letting go ... i know its hard especiallyw hen u feel like arguing " but i think i almost got it!" just remind yourself there is more stuff..possibly easy stuff..and u haveto get to it now!

Hey DieselPetrolGrl, i know somnewhere you asked me how i'm studying for orgo...for the life of me i cna't find it. anyway i always have flash cards from everything i read in it...all the reactions, etc, so i basically review that. way too much memorizaton., it clearly sucks! good luck on Thursday :luck: :luck:

While I agree with most people that you should not spend too much time on a section it is important to develop your own technique for answering questions as quickly and efficiently as you can. Some times I will skip a whole passage just because it looks stupid or has too much information, calculations, or whatever. I use the time to get other things right. So far I have tens everywhere. I'm sure that there are people in here who will say you skipped a whole passage that was stupid and they will condemn my methods but the bottom line is I know what works for me and I don't give a damn what anybody says.

On the Physical Sciences section I do all the G-chem first then the physics (got a 10 on the last practice test). On the Bio Sci section I do all the organic first, then the bio (got an 11). Now, if someone could help me with verbal..that would be great. I definitely believe in picking and choosing on the test. Do what you know best first or else you will waste tons of time trying to do those hard passages that you may end up getting wrong anyway. But, most importantly, try different strategies. Some work for one person, and don't for another.

The main thing with triaging strategies is that you have to pick one that works for you. (Kaplan doesn't say to stick with a strategy you hate...in fact, I don't really like triaging much at all, but for some people it works great.)

As long as you feel it makes you more comfortable on the test and you're finishing the section more or less on time, you should be fine. If you're not, or if the strategy is costing you time, switch.

Doing bio and then ochem is not "triage" -- you're dividing into two groups, not three. Semantics aside, it will take you about ten extra seconds, so those who are claiming you're wasting your time are out to lunch. It's not like it takes a lot of reading to figure out what subject the passage is on. Go ahead and do it on bio and phys sciences if it feels good.

On verbal, the problem is entirely different. It would be lovely to do the easy passages first, quickly; the medium passages next, carefully; and then zip through two of the three toughest ones, perhaps skipping the worst of the lot. The problem with that, as you've now all gathered, is that it's pretty hard to know beforehand how difficult a passage is. Writing style and clarity is only part of it; to really have an idea you'd have to check out all the questions, and that reallly does take too much time. Still, it's a good idea to give some thought to difficulty.

About half of my students are now spending the first two minutes triaging the passages, the other half rank as they go. When we started we all used a triage method, because ranking as you go depends much more on experience (you need a substantial knowledge base against which to contrast each passage). But neither method helps very much, so don't expect miracles. Better for some is to skip or nearly skip the toughest questions.

Sorry there's no magic solution.