Triage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wackie

Inappropriate, always
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone's triage put c-collars on walk in neck injuries?

There was a walk-in patient who fell from a two story window (told triage that much as well). Wasn't brought back until three hours later. Had a nasty C2 fx with lateral shifting (I'm trying to use big words here). Everyone's lucky her head didn't fall off while waiting.

It seems if they do EKG's on chest pains...? :confused:

Insight appreciated.

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

how much immobilization do you get from a typical c collar anyway?

Members don't see this ad :)
As residents, we see everyone within 15 minutes in triage, and if they need a collar, we put one on...

Our triage nurses will slap a C-collar on without hesitation. That patient, by mechanism alone even if they said they were pain-free, they'd get a collar.

The good RNs tell them, "this is uncomfortable and it looks stupid. It also does not really immobilize your neck. It is there to remind you not to move, because until we know for sure it's safe to move, we're going to assume that moving your neck is very, very bad."

Our triage nurses will slap a C-collar on without hesitation. That patient, by mechanism alone even if they said they were pain-free, they'd get a collar.

The good RNs tell them, "this is uncomfortable and it looks stupid. It also does not really immobilize your neck. It is there to remind you not to move, because until we know for sure it's safe to move, we're going to assume that moving your neck is very, very bad."

That's what I was thinking. Even if it doesn't protect her neck 100%, it at least reminds the patient to remain still.

That's what I was thinking. Even if it doesn't protect her neck 100%, it at least reminds the patient to remain still.

In my experience as an EMT a c-collar that is put on badly is nothing more than ugly and uncomfortable. However, a c-collar put on well can stop ~90% of movement. Considering triage is basically calm (when the nurse is physically talking to the patient), there is no reason nurses can't put a collar on well enough to prevent the poor guy at the beginning of this post from killing himself by twisting.