tribute to catecholamines/the final exam experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fightingspirit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know what am talking bout guys? i am talking about a special bond that all meds and dents share. This bond is the unique experience of going through the final exams. No other professional school/program have such major exams. I mean the physio, biochem, anatomy, and neuroscience final exams are larger than life. These courses are tremendous and the exams cover an unimaginable amount of material. So you study for the entire course, and then bam! The final comes around! You got like 4-5 days to cram what other schools learn in a year or 2! Pretty insane! You keep on studying those lectures and they just don’t finish…you read the textbook, you do old questions, you discuss cases with classmates....you skim the transcripts…meds and dents hop from one small study room to another exchanging tips and asking questions…you got like 200 histo slides that you have to memorize in not more than 3-4 hours…..it’s insanity that starts in the morning and lasts till 3-4 am. You stay up late for long long hours trying to get somewhere. Still, you almost run out of patience and energy. You’re wired on coffee; You get the urge to scream at the top of your voice not due to pain or misery but just to release the intensity and the heat. You just finished studying 200 pages; you take a deep breath preparing for the next 400 pages…..and it goes on and on. Let’s face it. no one but meds and dents know what it’s like to go through those 72 hours that are before the biochem, physio, or anatomy final! You go through these exams that day and somehow you manage. It sometimes truly makes me feel that I can do anything I want. The 72 hours before the final are a truly amazing experience.

But that’s not all. The most remarkable thing in all of this is how our brain and body deal with this. So you’ve been studying like crazy before the final for at least a week. You are literally sleep deprived, sleeping not more than 4 hours a night. And on top of that, the dents usually have mandatory classes at the dental school. You get more tired towards the final’s day and very likely, you’d end up staying up all night that night before the final. You’re tired but you still decide to pull an all-nighter. In reality, you are getting fatigued in every sense of the word but somehow your brain and sympathetic nervous system carry you through. And remarkably, 2-3 hours before the final (even though you’re tired as heck and you’re about to pass out) all of a sudden, you feel this surge of mental energy and you feel as alert as a hawk, as though you’d slept 12 hours before the test. You go through the exam like a champ! Once it’s over, your eyes start hurting and you get a headache and a cathartic feeling. You go back home; you do not want to talk to anybody. You unwind and throw your wary body onto your loving bed, hugging that pillow as though you’re now in eternal bliss. You assume the fetal position and sleep like a baby for long hours. You feel tired for the next few days, which is when you pay the dept you owe your body from those dark 72 hours.

What would we do without our hypothalamus and sympathetic nervous system? What would we do without those catecholamines? There would not be dental or medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you've been studying a little too much there. :) good luck on finals!

i've got a drilling and head and neck anatomy practical tomorrow. then 4 more next week. and not much will to study after tomorrow....it'll be more like :sleep:

but i do know what you mean, you really do bond in learning and then somehow, you always get through it.

never pull an all nighter.. you may think you are doing yourself a favor by trying to learn more and more.. but when the test comes like you said.. you feel alert but not completely.. just like when are driving at night after a night at the bar..

you "feel more alert" watching out for cops and the road blocks.. but in reality you aren't..

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice post...gives me a little hope and makes me re-realize my undergrad problems are petty and insignificant compared to what I hope to be doing some day (soon preferably). Good luck!

never pull an all nighter.. you may think you are doing yourself a favor by trying to learn more and more.. but when the test comes like you said.. you feel alert but not completely.. just like when are driving at night after a night at the bar..

you "feel more alert" watching out for cops and the road blocks.. but in reality you aren't..

I've never done an all nighter ,I don't see the point:S .
Better to know 50% of the work well, than ahve read 100%, and can't even sort out the information properly.

Long live sleep.

I pulled an all-nighter once during undergrad but haven't really needed to in dental school. if you manage your time, you won't have to.

The most remarkable thing in all of this is how our brain and body deal with this. So you've been studying like crazy before the final for at least a week. You are literally sleep deprived, sleeping not more than 4 hours a night. And on top of that, the dents usually have mandatory classes at the dental school. You get more tired towards the final's day and very likely, you'd end up staying up all night that night before the final. You're tired but you still decide to pull an all-nighter. In reality, you are getting fatigued in every sense of the word but somehow your brain and sympathetic nervous system carry you through. And remarkably, 2-3 hours before the final (even though you're tired as heck and you're about to pass out) all of a sudden, you feel this surge of mental energy and you feel as alert as a hawk, as though you'd slept 12 hours before the test. You go through the exam like a champ! Once it's over, your eyes start hurting and you get a headache and a cathartic feeling. You go back home; you do not want to talk to anybody. You unwind and throw your wary body onto your loving bed, hugging that pillow as though you're now in eternal bliss. You assume the fetal position and sleep like a baby for long hours. You feel tired for the next few days, which is when you pay the dept you owe your body from those dark 72 hours.

What would we do without our hypothalamus and sympathetic nervous system? What would we do without those catecholamines? There would not be dental or medical school.

I feel you on this one for sure...This last semester has been like twelve rounds with Mike Tyson...I'm beat up, covering my ears and begging for mercy. At least its over. I don't know how many all nighters or liters of mountain dew (diet) I've consumed in the course of the last few months...Its not healthy. I'm sure this last year has reduced my life expectancy by seven years. But its all worth it when I see the big numbers. So, here's to the hypothalamus...

don't worry gulch.. you will only have to triple that amount of pain in 2nd year;0 much more fun to look forward to!

I've never done an all nighter ,I don't see the point:S .
Better to know 50% of the work well, than ahve read 100%, and can't even sort out the information properly.

Long live sleep.

:thumbup:

:sleep:

I've got 5 finals this week and comps next week, but screw all-nighters I gave those up a long time ago. Too old for that crap...:D

don't worry gulch.. you will only have to triple that amount of pain in 2nd year;0 much more fun to look forward to!

lol...<awkward silence>...I know you're right. I'd just like to raise up my glass to days off. Here's to summer term and lazy days before the blackness of michigan winters and D2 hell. How many toasts do I get to make anyway?