Tricks and Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.... I know there are a lot of tips and tricks out there to learning drugs and preparing for tests. If you have any good ones I think you should post them here.

Here are a few from me.... no they are not all inclusive but just trends that generally happen

*there are exceptions to every rule*

NNRTIs- "vir" in the middle
NRTIs- "ine" ending (with some exceptions i.e. ABC, TDF)
PIs- "vir" at the end

on and i do have a drawing call "chemo boy" that i'll work on putting up here....

Members don't see this ad.

ok.... here is chemo boy...
he looks a lot better when i can draw him in person....

and no this is not an all inclusive list.. just what our chemo person gave us to help us remember some common SE

chemoboy.bmp

Ok since he's so small I type it all out here too...
ears are Cs because Cisplatin and Carboplatin cause Ototoxicity
mouth is M because Methotrexate causes Mucocytis
The heart is two Ds Doxyrubicin and Donarubicin cause cardiotoxicity
the hands and feet are Vs because Vincristine and Vinblastine cause periperhal neurotoxicity
The lungs are two Bs because Busulfan and Bleomycin cause pulmonary toxicity
The Bladder is a C and I because Cyclophosphamide and Ifosphamide cause bladder tox
The kidneys are two Cs because Cisplatin and Carboplatin cause nephrotoxicity

if you need me to clarify any of it let me know

And yes i know all the drug names are misspelled

Hi bbmuffin

although all of these drugs sound foreign to me now--I'm sure they won't once I start pharmacy school this fall. Just wanted to say thanks in advance for the post--I have a strong feeling that your "tricks and tips" will come in very handy. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
bbmuffin said:
This is great!! I never though of making a picture like that. I may have to try it for other topics.

Future RxGal, I love this quote!

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain

this little man will be very helpful in my pharmacology exam (I'm glad most of the drugs u mentioned have the same or the similar names in my country)... tnx bbmuffin ;)

Chemo boy is very cool! That would have come in handy when I was studying for boards :)