lacrosse87

OMS-3
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
NYC
Status
Medical Student
I am currently working full-time while taking some post-baccalaureate classes and will be applying to Osteopathic Medical schools in the Summer of 2011. I will be retaking Physics II (Electricity & Magnetism) in Spring 2011 since I have a D in the class from freshman year. I was wondering if I would be able to get the old grade replaced for retaking the class. The problem is...

The class I plan on taking and the class I took are both Physics II, however the previous one was titled PHYS 151 (Principles of Physics II: Electromagnetism and Radiation) and the only class I will be able to take since I am working full-time is PHYS 102 (General Physics: Electromagnetism, Optics, and Modern Physics). Since I was an engineering major, we all had to take Phys 151, however most pre-meds at my school take PHYS 102. They're both Physics II classes for second semester freshmen. Since working full-time will not allow me to take PHYS 151, will the grade I receive in my PHYS 102 night class be able to replace my old PHYS 151 grade?

Thanks in advance. I emailed AACOMAS but haven't heard back from them and I'm getting antsy!

willen101383

10+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is the physics youre replacing with the second in the "series" of physics classes at this school??

As in is that the physics that counts as physics 2 for the students at that institution? If so youre golden.

As an undergrad I took physics 1 at an away school and it had a totally different title and number, but it was the physics 1 for those students at the away school. My school as well as accomas counted that as physics 1 without problem. However, I think your best answer would be to cold call a random admissions office and ask just to be sure! I am sure this is a common problem so try to stay calm!!!

OOPs I didnt see u answered my question since I my brain is swamped by biochemistry right now...I think you will be fine...but like I said call either aacomas again or an admissions office to be sure

Last edited:

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Call aacomas. They are lenient when it comes to replacement of very tough to find classes. They care more about what you study than the name of the course.

sylvanthus

Attending
10+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
I imagine this class will count with regards to grade replacement. I retook a good 15 classes or so and did not have trouble with grade replacement even though many classes were at different universities. So long as the content/title matches, it is highly likely you will be ok.

OP
lacrosse87

lacrosse87

OMS-3
7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone. I still havent heard back from AACOMAS via email, but I'll try to look for a phone number to call them at or something.

To clarify my situation, both of these Physics II courses (so both of them are for 2nd semester freshman in a two semester sequence of mechanics followed by E&M) are offered at my university. Phys 151 is taken by all of the Physics and Engineering majors (I was Engineering) and Phys 102 is taken by Biology majors, pre-health students, and other students in the college of arts and sciences to fulfill some specific quanitative physical science requirement or something.