Trig on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBP12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How complicated is trig on the DAT? I thought we only needed to know our basic sin, cos, tan, csc, sec, cot but when doing QR on DAT Destroyer there are so many questions that are on sin2x=2sinxcosx or cot^2x+1=csc^x and so on...

Do we really need to know those or just basic trig?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! Memorize all of those equations! (And practice how to derive them etc)

I knew a couple and definitely wish I had memorized the rest. Luckily you can spend a total of ten minutes to memorize them all and it will give you easy points on the DAT

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew a couple and definitely wish I had memorized the rest. Luckily you can spend a total of ten minutes to memorize them all and it will give you easy points on the DAT
Did chad's videos cover all of them? Or would you suggest some other place to learn them (and if so where?)

Did chad's videos cover all of them? Or would you suggest some other place to learn them (and if so where?)

Didn't use chads so can't answer that

Math destroyer covers most but there might be a few it missed. I would just google it I'm sure there are plenty of sites.

Didn't use chads so can't answer that

Math destroyer covers most but there might be a few it missed. I would just google it I'm sure there are plenty of sites.
Oh ok thanks. was being lazy and hoping for some cheat sheet that had everything haha.

I've been trying to find a list as well, but i am not sure if the lists that I have are considered "too much" for the DAT purposes or what. Do we know a certain list of some sort?
p.s. I really hate math lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I just took the DAT yesterday. One of the questions in the QR has four trig identities, and the question was to select which one was wrong. So, the answer is yes, you must know them.

I just took the DAT yesterday. One of the questions in the QR has four trig identities, and the question was to select which one was wrong. So, the answer is yes, you must know them.
Will you be posting a breakdown? I love reading breakdowns.

@BYU4you do you think we should know law of cosines or just law of sines? I didn't see law of cosines in the math destroyer formulas.

It's worth memorizing I would say. But I wouldn't stress so much on QR.

Math destroyer is awesome, but it isn't the end all study guide. They can only guess what will be on the test and have a general idea but the ADA could really have the power to pull out whatever they want.

Math destroyer does its job at getting you the timing down on problems and if you can memorize a few facts here and there on identities you will score big.

I honestly wasn't shooting for the best QR score and I studied for it first and put it on the back burner the rest of the way.

So long story short..should you memoirize it? Probably yes.
Would I memorize it? No

It's worth memorizing I would say. But I wouldn't stress so much on QR.

Math destroyer is awesome, but it isn't the end all study guide. They can only guess what will be on the test and have a general idea but the ADA could really have the power to pull out whatever they want.

Math destroyer does its job at getting you the timing down on problems and if you can memorize a few facts here and there on identities you will score big.

I honestly wasn't shooting for the best QR score and I studied for it first and put it on the back burner the rest of the way.

So long story short..should you memoirize it? Probably yes.
Would I memorize it? No

Would you have tried spreading out your study time looking back or do you think that was the best way for you to study?

Would you have tried spreading out your study time looking back or do you think that was the best way for you to study?

It's situational I guess. I usually do well in Math and I was taking classes so I kind of stuck it at the beginning to just refresh it and quit with a little review at the end. On one hand I wish I had spread it out more, on the other hand I put all the extra time studying for that into sciences and still got a 21 on QR which was fine for me.

I definitely remembered stuff I had learned at the start but I think It would have helped to do one math destroyer test timed every couple of days throughout the rest of my studying time. (Which I think can be said for all the non sciences)

I took it today and I lucked out. My trig was super basic. I agree with the other people though. Definitely know those derivations like the back of your hand. They're really likely to show up. Like @BYU4you, I kind of bummed mine too. I didn't touch anything for math that Chad taught. I did look over Math Destroyer formulas the night before. Very glad I did that!