Trig or Cal?

Started by CherryB
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CherryB

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have taken pre-calculus and I want to take Calculus but the school won't grant me permission and wants me to take trig. first. Is it really necessary?

-Cherry
 
Maybe it depends how your class was set-up. My pre-calc had trig in it so there was no additional class. You do want to know some trig, but typically nothing too hard comes up in calc. I don't think your school is going to let you out of trig though. Did you have to take a placement exam? If you did bad on it that is probably why they want you to take trig first.
 
Last edited:
The JC that I wanted to take Calculus from would not allow me to take it because I had not taken Trig before. So, I decided to take it at another school. Try perhaps a 4-year University (Thats what I'm doing!) You may have to pay a little bit more... But, hey one less class! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure about the brief calculus series required for health majors, but I needed trig a lot in my four semester calc series.
 
Appeal to your math department. Be prepared to show your pre-calc grade and assure them you are ready for calculus. I guess they put up that barrier to keep their pass rates up, it tends to keep out the overambitious.