You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
trigger point injections with toradol?
Started by jonnylingo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
We just use saline at my fellowship. Seems to work well. Of course, my attending who I do these with is a trigger point master. I bet he has done more TPIs than anyone in the country.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Disagree. I do my TPIs with toradol/lidocaine.
I see better results than just lido alone.
I don't like using steroid for TPI due to risk of local atrophy and adding to their overall risk of adrenal suppression.
I see better results than just lido alone.
I don't like using steroid for TPI due to risk of local atrophy and adding to their overall risk of adrenal suppression.
Disagree. I do my TPIs with toradol/lidocaine.
I see better results than just lido alone.
I don't like using steroid for TPI due to risk of local atrophy and adding to their overall risk of adrenal suppression.
Got any studies to back it up?
We just use saline at my fellowship. Seems to work well. Of course, my attending who I do these with is a trigger point master. I bet he has done more TPIs than anyone in the country.
Ahh, yes, a myofascist. If it hurts where you poke, it must by myofascial pain, right? Ugh.
If someone does a buttload of trigger point injections, they are probably not very well trained. TPIs don't really work all that well in general, and the patient population is a PITA.
He injects no more than two at a time. So far good results. He takes his time doing them. I know some don't believe that they really work but already have some good anecdotal evidence that they can work. Pt with chronic left leg pain, not dermatomal. 6 ESI's, stim trial, two surgeries nothing helped. TPIs to gluteus mediums and maximus. Started crying after the procedure because she was so happy to be pain free and didn't understand why the other doctors had not tried this first. Still pain free on follow up visit.
He injects no more than two at a time. So far good results. He takes his time doing them. I know some don't believe that they really work but already have some good anecdotal evidence that they can work. Pt with chronic left leg pain, not dermatomal. 6 ESI's, stim trial, two surgeries nothing helped. TPIs to gluteus mediums and maximus. Started crying after the procedure because she was so happy to be pain free and didn't understand why the other doctors had not tried this first. Still pain free on follow up visit.
Let's see if it lasts more than one follow-up. Lots of people get immediate relief while local is in place. Lots of patients get relief for 3 weeks after the first one, but not repeat injections, when there is less placebo effect.
The last thing you want is a TPI happy practice with patients demanding TPI every 2 weeks. Do you realize just how poorly trigger points reimburse in the private world?
If most TPI could provide durable relief, that's one thing, but crappy reimbursement and very low incidence of durable relief is a bad combination.
Last edited:
Do you bill for toradol separately?
No I don't. I'm not sure that you can. You can bill for toradol with an general IM injection like you get in the ER, but the procedure code pays so poorly you might as well just bill the TPI. Generic toradol is crazy cheap. $1.30 for 2ml 30mg/ml bottle, and I only use 15mg with my TPI.
And no steve, I don't have a study to back it up. You don't have studies to back up half the **** you do.
Adding NSAID does makes sense based on multiple studies of the inflammatory component of muscle triggers.
One of my Harvard attendings was a TPI guru, and myofascial literature expert. I learned TPI from him and that's what he used(toradol), and it seemed work to better than the attendings who only used lido. Since toradol costs a big extra 40cents, I still use it for my patients.
I now do TPI only intermittently. Most of the time, the trigger points are there because we aren't solving the root cause of the problem anyway.
Last edited:
Trigger points are okay, but nothing great. I don't care how much of a master someone is of them. I do them here and there but I don't expect miracles. But they do play a role.We just use saline at my fellowship. Seems to work well. Of course, my attending who I do these with is a trigger point master. I bet he has done more TPIs than anyone in the country.
Just saw a patient today who had received numerous phenol tpi's from the neurologist down the street!! 
She had all these hypopigmented scars over her traps and lower cervical paraspinals. I told her they were probably from the phenol injections. She said they worked.... cra cra

She had all these hypopigmented scars over her traps and lower cervical paraspinals. I told her they were probably from the phenol injections. She said they worked.... cra cra
Ahh, yes, a myofascist. If it hurts where you poke, it must by myofascial pain, right? Ugh.
If someone does a buttload of trigger point injections, they are probably not very well trained. TPIs don't really work all that well in general, and the patient population is a PITA.
Apparently you haven't read Travell & Simons' Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual (2-Volume Set).
Pure blasphemony that TPI's don't work. How could someone write TWO VOLUMES about trigger points if treating them with TPI's doesn't work?
And no steve, I don't have a study to back it up.
Let's do a multi-center study! Seems easy enough.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, I realize his trigger point centric practice doesn't work in the real world.
TraumeelNo one even mentioned sarapin. What's wrong with you guys and your choice of magic beans? haha
Traumeel
Succinylcholine works to reduce pain with a statistically significant reduction in VAS but no change in Return to work when compared to placebo.
A true hard-core chronic painer will bounce back with a "10+" over 10 after the short duration of action of succs wears off, no problem. Try non-depolarizer.Succinylcholine works to reduce pain with a statistically significant reduction in VAS but no change in Return to work when compared to placebo.
🙂
botulinum toxin
not covered. anyone doing this? results?
i posted on here a few years ago about ketoralac into the joint. some studies reported no chondrotoxic effects.
not covered. anyone doing this? results?
i posted on here a few years ago about ketoralac into the joint. some studies reported no chondrotoxic effects.
botulinum toxin
not covered. anyone doing this? results?
i posted on here a few years ago about ketoralac into the joint. some studies reported no chondrotoxic effects.
Botox covered if it's cervical dystonia.... Depends on how you define dystonia.
Botox covered if it's cervical dystonia.... Depends on how you define dystonia.
seems like a big hassle to me, especially when the patients really dont even have dystonia....
I have found saline alone does not work for myofascial pain relief. Traumeel, the best..unfortunately is not covered by insurance.We just use saline at my fellowship. Seems to work well. Of course, my attending who I do these with is a trigger point master. I bet he has done more TPIs than anyone in the country.
What do you think agents like Traumeel are adding to your injection? Given that they dissipate within an hour or two, I don't understand why they would have any durable effect.I have found saline alone does not work for myofascial pain relief. Traumeel, the best..unfortunately is not covered by insurance.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 19
- Views
- 2K