Trinity and Dublin in General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Me an MD??

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Got my acceptance to Trinity last week ... staring in October. Who else here from Canada is there/going? Also any recomendations for housing at this point? I applied to residence but is it worth taking, seeing that i'll be grouped as an underclassman? I also looked at daft.ie, but i would def feel more comfortable seeing the room b4 i get it? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

it can be useful to get accommodation for your first year so that you can be acquainted with the surroundings more. As a first year, most likely you'll be placed in Trinity Halls or Goldsmith, if you get offered rooms. Goldsmith isn't the best but it'll do...rooms are small and I think it's sort of like an asylum, but other people think it's fine. Trinity Halls are nice, but 25-30 min walk from College . You could get the bus, but in rush hour that might be tricky. Or you can bike it in like 10-15 min (downhill into college, uphill on the way back).

On Daft, I guess it depends how much you're willing to pay. It would help to see rooms first... Christchurch is a good area, as is Ballsbridge ($$), Rathmines is a more studenty kind of area but you'd want to see the place first. If you're looking for an apartment, it would be cool to come to TCD early, stay in a hotel/hostel while you're doing your searching and then take a few days to view accommodation.

Me an MD?? said:
Hi. Got my acceptance to Trinity last week ... staring in October. Who else here from Canada is there/going? Also any recomendations for housing at this point? I applied to residence but is it worth taking, seeing that i'll be grouped as an underclassman? I also looked at daft.ie, but i would def feel more comfortable seeing the room b4 i get it? Any advice?

HEy i'm From PEi canada,
I'll be at trinity next year, so i'll see you next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sound advice from Leorl... The other advantage of living in Rooms in Trinity for your first year is you get to mix with other medical students and other students in College. Personally, I think this is very important. The Accommodations Office take into account your age/background when assigning rooms, so you're unlikely to be sharing an apartment with a 17 year old engineer from the bogs of Ireland ;)

You def won't be the only North American medical student living in Rooms either... The rooms in Goldsmith are somewhat institutional but it gives you a chance to mix with other students, find your feet in Dublin and make friends... Plus there's plenty of time off in the first 2 years, so the academic year goes by VERY quickly!

Thanks for the advice. Ive applied to residence in trinity hall so hopefully that goes through ok. I'm really looking forward to starting this program and meeting lots of new ppl. Probably similar to my undergrad at Western where i went without any of my old highschool friends and met new ppl quickly.

Ive heard great things about dublin from ppl that have been or are there now. Great city with great ppl and no shortage of things to do or PUBS to go to. (My personal fav)

One more question .. Does anyone participate in any school sports there? I was checking out the DUSAC website and saw theres a basketball team and am thinking of joining/trying out. Any advice??

I just paid my deposit for Trinity Hall. Yay for ensuite bathrooms! Does anyone know if it's worth getting the luas to campus? I hear miltown is the closest stop. Not that I mind a half hour walk on a nice day, but it's good to have other options considering the unpredictable nature of irish weather :)

Also, I was wondering about intramural/recreational sports leagues (soccer, volleyball?). i couldn't really find anything about it on the website. anyone know?

Hey,

I also sent in my Trinity Hall stuff for this fall. Do you all move in Sept. 29th I'm guessing?

As for sports etc. I've heard it's very possible to be heavily involved with athletics, and the faculty does what they can to accomodate. Oh, and bball... I was also interested, so I joined the yahoo group that is mentioned on the bball club web page. I've been told that tryouts are at the beginning of the year, and the best way to get in touch is to walk up to the bball club stand during Freshers Week.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Is september 29th the earliest possible move in date or something? I wasn't planning on moving in till around the 3rd of oct. I also haven't heard anything about freshers week...just registration on the 6th. Do you guys think its worth going to freshers week?

Hey,

Just wondering how old are you guys who are going into their first year?

I"m 23.... And i'm also hoping i'll meet a bunch of new people when i get there so i'm not too homesick!
and as for you guys wanting to join a club, i think it's very possible. I Think leorl knows quite a bit since he's part of the rowing team.... if I remember correctly??
check out this page http://www.ducac.tcdlife.ie/SportClubs/index.php

i don't know if it will be of any help... but that's the best i could find.
I Plan to join the track and field team and got in contact with the team captain and he said it shouldn't be any problem.....

Anyways see you guys in late Sept!

I'm 24...

I think Freshers week would be a good idea because it will get you used to the campus, and see all sorts of stuff to get involved in before you actually have to go to class.

Hey leorl, is there an orientation week thing for meds? Or is the first time you meet people in your class the first monday of school?

Sweet. I'm gonna do up the bball club for sure. I joined that yahoo group too. It looks like they have open courts all week for ppl to play. It will definitely keep me sane to be able to play ball.

I'm 23 also. Just finished my 4 yr undergrad.

i'm 22...that means i'll be 27 when i finish school - ahh!!

Members don't see this ad :)
oh whatever this is medicine we're talking about, you're basically starting your career now.

hey, I don't suppose anyone knows anything, or has seen anything to do with a cycling club at Trinity? I find it so hard to believe that there wouldn't be one.

I'll be 23 when I start. Woot. I'd like to join the cycling club too. I know UCD has one, but I dunno about Trinity.

Hey, update on the cycling club. Apparently Trinity has a BRAND NEW cycling club this fall, or so says Gavin of the UCD CC. The Captain's name is Mike. Will enquire further...

Awesome. I think I'll probably be going to UCD anyway, but that's still cool. I wonder if the two clubs will ever train together.

Are you talking road or mountain? If mountain then we'll have to do it up over there. I'm bringing my Oryx hardtail with me....looks like the trails are gorgeous!

Cheers,
Jocks

I'll probably buy a road bike once I get over there. Damn hoodlums stole my bike a few months ago.

Hey folks, sorry haven't been posting as much. Just started a rotation in Cleveland clinic, and hours are pretty hectic! Hmm...sports clubs, him? Soccer's fairly big, although I think selection process is rather tough. I think there's only one team, so they'll only take like 20-some people, there's tryouts. There is a brand new cycling team starting (I know the guy starting it), if he's managed to go through the proper channels of starting the club. It's mainly road/touring, not so much mountain but I'm sure if you asked they'll try to accommodate. There are a few places in Ireland where you can mountain bike. One caveat about bikes - THEY GET STOLEN!! So unless you know you'll be living indoors somewhere where you can store it indoors, I would not bring your bike over your first year! Maybe once you know more of your situation...I wouldn't even recommend bringing/buying a nice bike if you'll be living in Trinity Halls.

Basketball - a lot of medics join basketball :). american medics in the past have pretty much made up the A and B teams :). If you play bball, you'll defo meet some of the guys in my class, although they won't be playing much cuz we'll be final meds.

DEFINITELY do fresher's week! It's changed since my fresher's week, but it's definitely good to see all the stuff on offer, and it's crazy. Sports clubs and societies pretty much fulfill the role of our frats/sororities (but in a more inclusive way). Great way to meet people, and more importantly, meet Irish and international people. I'd nearly say it's essential, because you really don't want to meet just other medics. Fresher's week isn't just for medics, it's for everyone new to College. There is usually an afternoon reception on one of the days for new international medics to meet each other though (I think usually the wednesday).

p.s. JOIN THE BOAT CLUB(s) :)

leorl said:
Hey folks, sorry haven't been posting as much. Just started a rotation in Cleveland clinic, and hours are pretty hectic! Hmm...sports clubs, him? Soccer's fairly big, although I think selection process is rather tough. I think there's only one team, so they'll only take like 20-some people, there's tryouts. There is a brand new cycling team starting (I know the guy starting it), if he's managed to go through the proper channels of starting the club. It's mainly road/touring, not so much mountain but I'm sure if you asked they'll try to accommodate. There are a few places in Ireland where you can mountain bike. One caveat about bikes - THEY GET STOLEN!! So unless you know you'll be living indoors somewhere where you can store it indoors, I would not bring your bike over your first year! Maybe once you know more of your situation...I wouldn't even recommend bringing/buying a nice bike if you'll be living in Trinity Halls.

Basketball - a lot of medics join basketball :). american medics in the past have pretty much made up the A and B teams :). If you play bball, you'll defo meet some of the guys in my class, although they won't be playing much cuz we'll be final meds.

DEFINITELY do fresher's week! It's changed since my fresher's week, but it's definitely good to see all the stuff on offer, and it's crazy. Sports clubs and societies pretty much fulfill the role of our frats/sororities (but in a more inclusive way). Great way to meet people, and more importantly, meet Irish and international people. I'd nearly say it's essential, because you really don't want to meet just other medics. Fresher's week isn't just for medics, it's for everyone new to College. There is usually an afternoon reception on one of the days for new international medics to meet each other though (I think usually the wednesday).

p.s. JOIN THE BOAT CLUB(s) :)

I'll store it in my closet if I have to...the XC trails in Ireland look too fantastic to pass up

Jocks said:
I'll store it in my closet if I have to...the XC trails in Ireland look too fantastic to pass up

For some reason... if you're living in Trinity hall.... i think you're not allowed to store your bike inside???

maybe i'm wrong though

Personally, I can't wait to go skiing. I'm definitely shipping my Blizzards and Atomics there.

not sure about Halls rules, but when I was living on campus (Botany Bay, next year GMB) and I forgot the lock to my bike, I'd store it in my room. Not sure if it's different in Halls but I don't think housekeeping come by that often and when they do check rooms, it's announced. So you might be able to get away with it. Would sort of be a hassle if you lived on like the top floor and had to carry the bike up there, unless you have an awesome carbon frame that's really light.

Billy Shears said:
Personally, I can't wait to go skiing. I'm definitely shipping my Blizzards and Atomics there.

you're joking, right?!! we don't have skiing in Ireland! i presume you mean in europe in general

Hey,

Speaking of bikes. I was planning on bringing my road bike over there, and it's pretty light. I read the Trinity Hall manual, and it does say that they don't allow bikes in rooms (silly silly, but i suppose they don't want tire tracks).

But honestly. How hard is it to sneak a bike up to my room? And if they catch you, what will happen? Any thoughts/experiences?

maillot jaune said:
Hey,

Speaking of bikes. I was planning on bringing my road bike over there, and it's pretty light. I read the Trinity Hall manual, and it does say that they don't allow bikes in rooms (silly silly, but i suppose they don't want tire tracks).

But honestly. How hard is it to sneak a bike up to my room? And if they catch you, what will happen? Any thoughts/experiences?

Bring your bike... who cares! My brother brought his bike when he went to school in ireland...
:luck: :luck: :luck:

irishgrad said:
you're joking, right?!! we don't have skiing in Ireland! i presume you mean in europe in general

Uh...UCD has a snowsports club, and Ireland has an artificial mountain, so I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

TCD also has a snow sports club, but I'm pretty sure all the best parts of these clubs are the trips to the continent.

Ireland's highest point is only 3400 ft. I'll send you a post card from Grindelwald :D

Hey, I didn't say there wasn't any skiing. Just thinking it might not measure up to Whistler.

Dear God man, it's not even real snow they're talking about!

Yeah, that sucks. I'll take what I can get though. They make trips to the Alps annually apparently, so that'll be worth the shipping costs. :thumbup:

maillot jaune said:
Hey,

I suppose not much. If you're in halls and housekeeping don't come by to check, that's cool. I don't know what they'd do if they caught you and got mad...probably nothing, I guess. I did keep a whole oar (they're quite big) in my room last year after being told to take it down and nothing ever happened. I guess they wouldn't know what to do with an oar though.

I was wondering where all you first year students are going to stay while at TCD??

I got my room the other week... modern...single room within an apartment... anyone else? :luck:

same as you I think... 'modern ensuite single'.

Billy Shears said:
Uh...UCD has a snowsports club, and Ireland has an artificial mountain, so I don't know what you're talking about. :confused:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Are you for real?

There are plenty of snow sports clubs around Ireland.... but we dont have any skiing or snow sports in the country - they go on foreign trips. It barely even snows here.
And the 'artificial mountain' you talk about - you obviously havent seen it.
http://www.skiclub.ie/history.htm
take a look at the pic. The place is ****e, I know plenty of avid skiiers in Dublin and most have never been there. what would be the point?! Kilternan is used for school tours and kids - thats it!