Trinity College (Dublin) vs LSHTM....help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kristy515

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will be starting my Masters in Public Health in September and I am in a slight dilemma as to where I should complete my degree. I am from the US, but I will be completing my degree in either the UK or Ireland as an international student. I feel the added diversity and different health system will be a benefit of studying outside the US as well as one year and less money. Does anyone have advise/knowledge/critique on Trinity College (Dublin) for their MSc Global Health? I really love the set up of this program, but I also want to make sure I can benefit from this degree....especially if I want to come back and work in the US. My interest is international health and I have experience working with organizations in developing countries (guatemala, Haiti, Africa...). I was also accepted at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) under MSc Control of Infectious Disease. I know LSHTM has a great reputation. Will a degree not specifically Public/Global Health hinder my efforts to find a job in the future? Is it better to have a specialty like Infectious Disease? I know both are known schools, but I'm unsure if they are known for their specific health programs back in the US. How do these two schools compare? I hear alot about LSHTM, so any additional info on Trinity would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed for the dublin program today. I have been in love with it forever now - but I'm not sure how it compares to LSHTM, which is much more broadly known. The Dublin program is still relatively new, and they only accept about 25 people/year. I'm in the same boat about if it's better to specialize - the trinity program is pretty broad. I'm deciding between yale and dublin, mainly because I love ireland (i'm a dual citizen), and the dublin program with it's research aspect in term 3 is great. I've talked to alumni though, and apparently US citizens have had a very hard time finding employment in Ireland/UK. That wouldn't be the case for me, but it's a legitimate issue if somehow LSHTM doesn't have that problem. Dublin is amazing though! I don't know much about LSHTM, but I think between the two Dublin could be great! (not to mention it's the best city in the world).

It seems like a great program, and although the director is great, I was a little discouraged after talking with him regarding the program and options following graduation. He heavily stressed it depends where i would like to settle geographically and in what line of work. He himself has an MPH degree from Harvard, so I was trying to gauge his perspective between different schools as well as receiving an MPH vs. MSc. I have been planning to go to LSHTM for years now, but when I found Trinity I just had to apply! I'm just not sure I'd like a program that is so broad - Not sure if that'll be a downfall or benefit. I love the layout of the terms and Term 3 research is especially appealing to me.
Lucky you being a dual citizen! In that case, sounds like a good option to me! I'm gonna mull it over a few days. It's hard to make a life decision! Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Trinity programme seems excellent, and it's a really top school. They have good links with Columbia and Harvard and Oxford, so they're quite well known in the world of international health.

So, if your aim is for jobs in WHO/UN/NGO sector etc I'd imagine TCD is fine.

But the LSHTM is known as the best public health school in the world, from the perspective of global health.

I'm Irish, so I'm biased, but Dublin is a great city. I don't think your career is defined by where you did your MSc.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

@publichealthdr:

Can i ask where you got this statistic that LHSTM is the best public school in the world?The various ranking agencies in the US/UK/Europe have varying ranking results as far as LHSTM is concerned...

another issue..the fees for MPH @ LHSTM is quite steep,about 15.6 K Sterling (Full Time) and 7.8 K (Part Time)
Can anybody give us an ideas of the tuition at Trinity College?

What about Scholarships for International Students-does either of them provide such facilities?

An early response would be much appreciated!

Polymorpheus - to get back to your questions regarding tuition, the fees are about the same. Only $1000.00 difference! In US Dollars, Trinity is approx $21,500, and LSHTM is $22,500. These prices are by far much cheaper than most top schools in the US.

I too have seen mixed rankings regarding LSHTM, however it is a well-known program that carries heavy ranking globally. I have decided to enroll at LSHTM in Sept. for MSC Control of Infectious Diseases :D

@publichealthdr:

Can i ask where you got this statistic that LHSTM is the best public school in the world?The various ranking agencies in the US/UK/Europe have varying ranking results as far as LHSTM is concerned...

another issue..the fees for MPH @ LHSTM is quite steep,about 15.6 K Sterling (Full Time) and 7.8 K (Part Time)
Can anybody give us an ideas of the tuition at Trinity College?

What about Scholarships for International Students-does either of them provide such facilities?

An early response would be much appreciated!