Troll like question, but I am curious..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdboybird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long until, if ever, DO schools entrance criteria are on par with MD? Obviously the averages are going up, will it level out anytime soon ?

If a school like Harvard, Hopkins, yada yada.....opened a DO school would it instantly bring the DO image up to par??

Thank you,

Birdboybird
Creator of the best threads.

Members don't see this ad.

The scores are rising every year. I don't see it plateauing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Since I, who was a pre-med student a month ago, have been accepted to a DO school, I know everything about medicine. So I'm not going to answer this and let other pre-med students answer a question that only time will tell.

Get out and stay out.

Last edited:
How long until, if ever, DO schools entrance criteria are on par with MD? Obviously the averages are going up, will it level out anytime soon ?

If a school like Harvard, Hopkins, yada yada.....opened a DO school would it instantly bring the DO image up to par??

Thank you,

Birdboybird

Not sure if you referenced the terrible tiger meme on purpose, but, if so, well done.

You seem pretty insecure...you might want to find yourself before taking on an endeavor like medical school.

Never.

-DO schools are tiny. They lack their own hospitals, barely have research funding, and often have endowments under 10 million.

-DO students spend an extra 4 hours of class every week in OMM class+lab. 4 hours of extra free time is HUGE in med school.

-DO schools also often have their students travelling far for rotations

-most DO schools put an emphasis on primary care and conciously pick lower stat applicant more often. This creates an image, and further causes higher caliber students to not apply there or only apply as a safety school.

Reactions: 1 users
There will be an overlap with top DO students an bottom tier MD students if they dont care about specializing and care more about the city they are in. In that case I could see why an applicant with 3.7/30 from kansas that wants to do family med would choose KCUMB over an allo program in Ohio/Michigan.

Never.

-DO schools are tiny. They lack their own hospitals, barely have research funding, and often have endowments under 10 million.

-DO students spend an extra 4 hours of class every week in OMM class+lab. 4 hours of extra free time is HUGE in med school.

-DO also comes with a stigma that keeps us out of certain specialties.

-keep us out of most IVY/academic programs.

-And less locations available. You will never get something like urology/ophto besides the AOA spots in michicgan and virginia. An allo applicant will have their choice in every state/major city.

-Despite time spent in Omm every week and more time spent travelling to far rotations, we'll still have to study more to out perform allo student on the board to compete for the same residency.
WTF? Sarcasm is difficult to understand online...

are you asking if I'm being sarcastic or the op?

I'm serious when I say admission to MD will always be harder than DO, the same way admission to harvard is harder than any state MD.

The DO image will always remain as long as we have different routes to obtain one profession. The oldest and most established will for the most part always be superior. If you want the DO image to change then get rid of all allopathic schools. Simple right?

Never.

-DO schools also often have their students travelling far for rotations

-most DO schools put an emphasis on primary care and conciously pick lower stat applicant more often. This creates an image, and further causes higher caliber students to not apply there or only apply as a safety school.

Agree with the top 3. A big no to the 4th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree with all 4. But what do I know? (No DO complex though).

I imagine that when the economy begins to improve then the averages for medical schools will begin to fall and the upward trend for osteopathic medicine will begin to reverse.

DO schools GPA and MCAT raise every year, but so are MD schools. I imagine there will always be admission gap regardless. However, DO students number rise faster than MD counterpart (probably because more new DO schools open, and DO schools tend to accept more students per class). I imagine in the near feature there will be more and more DO practicings; and in some states there are the same or even greater number of DO compare to MD. The general public will eventually aware that there are two degrees but eventually same profession, in a way it is public awareness; when you see something regular enough, you would stop question the difference (kinda like DDS and DMD).

Lurking these forums and still I'm confused as to why BirdBoyBird hasn't been put on probation or banned yet.

Agree with the top 3. A big no to the 4th.

disagreed. Going through schools off the top of my head, the majority said they're primary care oriented. 100% of the rural ones and even ones in big cities like Nova and Touro.

Thank you,

Birdboybird

1) youre a troll

2) admissions criteria is already very similar

3) Harvard actually does teach a little bit about DO "Since 2004, the Harvard Medical School Department of Continuing Education has conducted an intense three-day “Introduction to Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine” course in Boston roughly every other year. "

http://thedo.osteopathic.org/2013/06/helping-hands-dos-make-case-for-teaching-mds-omt-basics/

disagreed. Going through schools off the top of my head, the majority said they're primary care oriented. 100% of the rural ones and even ones in big cities like Nova and Touro.

Nova nor Touro emphasize primary care in their mission statement? Is this something you directly asked them?

yeaaa I feel bad now. In a previous thread I advocated for birdboy, I genuinely just thought he was ignorant. But I now agree that he may be a troll....

Imnot is accurate in his/her assessment.

On the whole, many DO schools overlap with schools like Mercer, LSU, Creighton, etc., and I see the trend increasing.

If one looks at acceptance rates, DO schools are just as hard to get into as MD schools. At my school, for example, we have 5K applicants for ~100 seats.

Of course a good chunk of schools are primary care oriented, but just because it is a DO school doesn't mean they will pick people with low stats. This is a school dependent thing, not a DO school thing. If it were a DO school thing, then new schools such as Marian would not be having MCAT averages around 28 (even older school have an average of 28+). So if you think about it there are people with 30+ MCAT scores that are actually picking Marian. I am sure they would be getting acceptances from other more established DO schools, but still chose MUCOM. There could be many reasons behind this; it could be fit, cheaper than other choices, or even location.

The reason why averages are lower for DO schools is because the applicant pool has lower stats versus MD schools. However, there has been an increase in the stats of applicants over the years and DO schools have thusly accepted people with higher stats as a result. If what your saying was true, then the matriculant stats should not be rising so much over the past several years.

Yea I wouldnt be shocked if MUCOM hits a 29 or 30 average this year. They seem to be very much about the numbers; not sure if that is actually helping or hurting them.