1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

trophic level

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pistolpete007, Jun 14, 2008.

1. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so i know that mass, energy, and number of indiv. decreases as we move up the trophic level but what about weight?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prydA

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i think for almost any pyramid (energy, mass, numbers), a safe guess would be that each level is 10x less than the one before it.

4. Hugh Mannity

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    And primary producers convert about 1% of solar energy into their trophic level.

5. pistolpete007

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    sometimes i run across secondary producers what are those? not secondary consumer SECONDARY PRODUCERS

6. klutzy1987

klutzy1987 StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ""Weight"" ???? what??????
    This is biology not physics. You dont need to know the difference between weight and mass its not important.

7. bumpski20

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    haha i think hes refering to biomass vs individual weight. individual weight usually increases due to the fact that numbers of individuals decreases however there are exceptions. biomass usually decreases as it moves up. energy is the only one that always decreases as it moves up, everything else has exceptions.

and i have never heard of secondary producers...im not sure how that would work.