Trouble choosing between programs (conflict of heart vs brain)

Latteandaprayer

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2017
I know it is early and I know I am blessed, but I'm struggling to choose between programs. I don't know if the programs matter, so I won't say which unless it's important. They are both pretty much equally ranked.

School A:
- 20 minutes away from my family, but in an expensive area (I'd like to live alone)
- Has the research I want + lots of diversity in case I change
- I like the medical program structure; you take Step 1 and 2 before beginning your PhD

School B:
- A different state, airplane trip away, but cheaper COL and high crime rate
- Has the research I want but to a greater degree... the diversity within this area at this university is astounding
- More traditional program, which is good because it's not as condensed, but I like School A's more

My heart says School A because it's close to home and I like the program structure. My brain says School B because of its cheaper COL and the research opportunities line up with what I want more. Pretty much every professor I asked has said School B. But I'm worried if I go to School B because of that, I won't be as happy. Is there anything else I should consider?

I know it's early still. It's just been stressing me out a lot. These programs were individually my dream programs, and I never imagined getting into both. I knew this might present an issue, but I thought I'd get accepted to one place and the decision would've been made for me.

I wish COVID didn't prevent me visiting the schools :/

Latteandaprayer

2+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2017

First off- congrats! Secondly, I can't really give advice about the rest of it- but as someone who's lived in areas with cheaper COL and high crime rates (StL, Baltimore), cheaper cost of living makes a huge difference in quality of life and living in places with high crime rates has never once made me feel less safe than when I lived in more affluent areas (so don't let that impact your decision)
Thanks! I forgot to add that the higher COL school gave me a few extra thousand a year for the stipend, and I *think* they'd be about equal (though I'm sure higher COL will still be an apparent factor).

I'm not really scared of high crime rate, as I come from a poor area and I've had my fair share of break ins, theft, local shootings, etc. My family cares a lot, though. I know it's my life, but culturally my family's opinion matters to me, and they'd be terrified if I went to an area with an even higher crime rate than our current one. I don't want them to worry.

About the Ads

tortuga87

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
School A

The heart is usually right. You are experiencing this because your brain is likely weighing family and environment greater than the research opportunities in terms of importance. In general, I think you should be guided by the heart and then solve the logistical issues that arise with your brain, so that the heart is satisfied. Taking the extreme to make a point, the life of a happy idiot > the life of a jaded genius.

Reactions: 1 user
May 14, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
School A! Go with your heart, plus it seems like you actually like a lot more things about School A. I had a similar dilemma because one school definitely checked the box when it came to research but basically nothing else. I realized I probably wouldn't be happy there. Also if School A is already giving you additional support I would say that's a really good sign!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads