Trouble finding good mentor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AyyLMAO2020

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Currently doing research in the summer between M1 and M2. I've heard that it is good to identify a mentor early on and develop a long-term relationship, so that when they write you a LOR, they can comment on your research/clinical/interpersonal skills. The guy I'm working with seems to be very productive research wise, but I'm not sure if he'd be a good long-term mentor or write a very strong LOR (he doesn't seem very personable tbh). Like I've never been able to interact with him other than one zoom meeting in the beginning to discuss the project. On the other hand, there's this other surgeon in the department who everyone says is a great mentor and really supports his students. I'm thinking of reaching out once I finish my summer project but wanted to ask for advice.

Should I stick with my old guy and just try to get to know him more, maybe ask to shadow? Or wait till rotations and work with him there?

Should I reach out to the new guy and how? Ask to do research? Ask to shadow? Also worried cause it seems like a lot of students reach out to this guy, he might be like "oh this student is just reaching out for a LOR".

Something in between? Maybe just try to get my name known to as many people in the department? I feel like at this early stage, no one can really know me outside of a research project context since I'm not really in the hospital until next year. And then once I do more clinical stuff then I really solidify the mentor-mentee relationship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

Currently doing research in the summer between M1 and M2. I've heard that it is good to identify a mentor early on and develop a long-term relationship, so that when they write you a LOR, they can comment on your research/clinical/interpersonal skills. The guy I'm working with seems to be very productive research wise, but I'm not sure if he'd be a good long-term mentor or write a very strong LOR (he doesn't seem very personable tbh). Like I've never been able to interact with him other than one zoom meeting in the beginning to discuss the project. On the other hand, there's this other surgeon in the department who everyone says is a great mentor and really supports his students. I'm thinking of reaching out once I finish my summer project but wanted to ask for advice.

Should I stick with my old guy and just try to get to know him more, maybe ask to shadow? Or wait till rotations and work with him there?

Should I reach out to the new guy and how? Ask to do research? Ask to shadow? Also worried cause it seems like a lot of students reach out to this guy, he might be like "oh this student is just reaching out for a LOR".

Something in between? Maybe just try to get my name known to as many people in the department? I feel like at this early stage, no one can really know me outside of a research project context since I'm not really in the hospital until next year. And then once I do more clinical stuff then I really solidify the mentor-mentee relationship?
Generally speaking, most people have multiple mentors that serve different roles and purposes. It is very rare to have one all encompassing mentor.

Yes, you should reach out to whomever you think you could personally learn something from, whether it be this person or not. Find people who have some aspect of their career you really like and want to achieve or emulate, then ask them to meet and talk about how they got where they did. Follow up from time to time to discuss your career path and boom, you have a mentoring relationship. If for some reason they say they can’t or won’t or whatever, move on and find someone else.

Reactions: 1 user