Trouble writing my PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcucumber91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I writing the PS on why I chose medicine. One of the main reasons I chose it was an experience in high school, when I had severe cystic acne (which in HS, isn't fun haha). To make it short, I tried everything but nothing was able to shrink those buggers down so I saw a dermatologist who gave me medication and got rid of it. As insignificant as it sounds, it was actually a problem I dealt with for years and the fact my doc was able to get rid of it kinda introduced me to the field of medicine.

I want to write an essay about that but would it be too cliche and corny? Like would writing about something as minor as acne make the readers roll their eyes?

Also, I was thinking of writing about my acne for a bit, then describe my visits to my doc and how he was not only a doc but a counselor-like figure, and then talk about how I want to be like him...but I feel it's kinda boring, corny, and a bit weak. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mention your acne struggle in your ps...

Sounds horribly cliche.

May as well write about your pediatrician or the cardiologist that saved your grandfather.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh...maybe just use that as just one part of my PS and then talk about other stuff?

If overcoming your acne made you passionate enough to want to sacrifice the best years of your life to brown nosing and studying information you'll rarely need again for many hours while your peers get into normal careers, then go for it.

Most people need more significant reasons though?

I used to be a cucumber with bumps and now look at me! Smooth as a pickle.
/end PS

I feel like a lot of the people replying aren't familiar with cystic acne. It's not just a pimple or two, it's pretty painful.

Anyway, OP, I feel like you can definitely craft a good PS detailing why your struggle with acne and especially your interactions with your doctor turned you on to the field of medicine. Especially if you can contextualize it in the bigger scheme of things - like how recognizing how much your own struggle with acne would be multiplied for someone struggling with, say, multiple sclerosis, and how they will have even greater need for a compassionate doctor.

Truth be told, most PSes are not "tHe mOsT ORigINaL Ps EVaR!!!1one!", but they should elucidate why you think medical school is the right field for you. I certainly think you can write a good PS about why your interactions with an empathetic doctor helped you decide to go into medicine.

I once had a lot of trouble with my Honda Civic. It was just acting up and it made it really difficult to be on time for school because sometimes it just broke down on the way. I tried everything, youtube tutorials, books, I just couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Then I took it to the mechanic and he just fixed it right up. He was really nice and talked to me about what was wrong with the car and how I can prevent similar things from happening in the future.

This is why I want to become a mechanic.

As another poster made a comment about a mechanic fixing the car, a better comparison would be how the mechanic and bad car made you want to learn how it all works, becoming fascinated on how things got put together hence becoming a mechanic or interest in engineering

You turned a sardonic response into a didactic one. Well played, sir.

Does anyone want to take a look at my personal statement? I did what you guys suggested so I don't sound like a complainer of a minor problem haha

I don't know, I kind of like the idea. I had severe acne and it really affected my confidence and security, my entire life even. My primary care physician didn't like prescribing acutane and no one really saw it as a big deal as I did , but eventually I got accutane through a derm. and my life really did turn around.

Maybe your journey and feelings with the process will help. You can also tie in how the derm. understood your struggles etc

I would definitely read up on SDN's own guide to writing your PS: http://studentdoctor.net/2008/01/essay-workshop-101-lesson-4-question-specific-themes/#want

Also, while I don't agree with the way people are dismissing something that was clearly personal to you, you kind of asked for it. The insincere and generic way that you went about posting it is the reason for the backlash, so I would keep that in mind. Especially because it could be very easy to come off as insincere or overdramatic talking about your experience with a dermatologist and your acne.