True special master's programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurekidsbraindoc

Reaction score
I'm an undergrad at Reed College, which is known for deflated gpa's, so my final gpa is going to end up much lower than most applicants. I'm looking for a 1 year special masters program or regular MS that would help raise my gpa and expose me to classes that my small LAC did not offer. The program would have to be under 1 year long, as I would be attending during the cycle I apply to medical school. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty good SMP list here made by another person on SDN(paradoxic_toxic I believe):

These are all 1 or 2 years long, I'm not aware of any programs under 1 year. I'm not sure why you are going to be applying while in the SMP if you have a low gpa. It seems like you'd get the most benefit by applying after doing well in the SMP. Additionally, some of the SMPs have conditional acceptances/interviews.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Why would you even do a SMP if the schools won’t have your new grades while they are deciding if they will extend an interview? How low are you talking? Are you sure you need a SMP?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just an observation. If you apply while you are attending SMP, none of those grades will be in your record or application to medical school.
I know at least with the George Washington program that they send your grades from the first quarter in October so they go to the schools you're applying to, in a kind of "update letter"