True that DO's less recognized but inferior?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. MD or DO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is that I can only find DO's working in poorer areas, or small private clinics in isolated regions of the country? With an exception of really hugh, prestigeous institutions or hospitals where they can afford variety of doctors. I'm currently working at NYU, school of medicine, can't find a single DO. Why is it that DO's often hidden somewhere not that well represented?
Don't get me wrong but I'm an fervent Osteopathic advocate, just sidetracked recently listening to the MD's belittling DO's. Is it more than the ignorance of the public, or is there some validity in their belief? WHat's dicouraging the minds of the majority that Osteopathic is some kind of "alternative medicine"? IS it the slightly lower, and less stringent condition for enrollment? Or is it the dissaticfaction of Osteopathic service in general? Where are all the DO's after med school? I know they are underrepresented, but why are they so quiet? I'm starting to have alot of doubts as the dark clouds of criticism and prematured stage of their existence, at least regarding its recognition. I just surmise how this great philosophy, so effective and so humanistic go unnoticed, sheerly ignored and dejectedly inferiorized.
SOmething must be wrong here, and i can't decide my way, please enlighten me with the truth, if anyone can shed a little light on my confusion. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Mr. MD or DO:
Why is that I can only find DO's working in poorer areas, or small private clinics in isolated regions of the country?

It's a matter of choice.... I've heard that some DO's would rather work at a place where they are greatly appreciated and make a real difference in patients lives. Many DO's also choose the DO degree because of it's reputation with helping the underserved population via primary care service....

With an exception of really hugh, prestigeous institutions or hospitals where they can afford variety of doctors. I'm currently working at NYU, school of medicine, can't find a single DO. Why is it that DO's often hidden somewhere not that well represented?

Personally, I don't believe they are hiding.... it comes down to whether or not one has time to explain or if one feels like explaining osteo vs. allo.... There has been thread on this in the forum.... Many DO's practice medicine and could care less about what degree is after their name. I've actually heard of several stories/anecdotes where MD's couldn't figure what was wrong with the patient until a DO helped out.... I think the osteopathic profession is constantly changing and realizing that it's important to incorporate research in the curriculum.... many allopathic med schools remember are university based and research based..... thus you won't find much DO's around there unless you yourself would come up with a research that another allopathic school can't go without....

Don't get me wrong but I'm an fervent Osteopathic advocate, just sidetracked recently listening to the MD's belittling DO's. Is it more than the ignorance of the public, or is there some validity in their belief?

There's some truth in the ignorance of the public.... as well as the inability of explaining the difference between allo and osteo medicine cohesively to others.... As the world changes, it's becoming harder and harder to discern MD's to DO's.... Again, a constant debate in the profession.

WHat's dicouraging the minds of the majority that Osteopathic is some kind of "alternative medicine"?

Misinformation.... It use to be "alternative" not any more.... yet many keep this thought in mind....

IS it the slightly lower, and less stringent condition for enrollment?

This fact is sometimes construde to mean lesser "stringent" conditions equals less qualified future docs.....

Or is it the dissaticfaction of Osteopathic service in general?

I have yet to hear anything bad about the care that an osteopathic physician does for his/her patient.... quite the contrary, I've heard MD's praise their DO colleagues about everything they do... I've even met a couple of MD's that wished they were trained as DO's. Just recently, my mom, who's a nurse, had a couple of patients of hers insisting of getting care from the two osteopathic OB/GYN physicians they had at the hospital.... Patients I've met have had great experiences with DO's....

Where are all the DO's after med school? I know they are underrepresented, but why are they so quiet?

Where are they?.... They're practicing the medicine, patient care, and patient population they want to practice.... Why are they so quiet? because some choose to be.... Physicians, in general, are very busy bodies.... You should know that if you're aware of the current health care out there.

I'm starting to have alot of doubts as the dark clouds of criticism and prematured stage of their existence, at least regarding its recognition.

Are you in it for the recognition? or are you in it for the money? or are you in it to practice medicine?.... If you don't want to go into osteopathic medicine, then maybe it's not for you..... It's not for everyone.

I just surmise how this great philosophy, so effective and so humanistic go unnoticed, sheerly ignored and dejectedly inferiorized.
SOmething must be wrong here, and i can't decide my way, please enlighten me with the truth, if anyone can shed a little light on my confusion. Thanks

Yes, there is definitely something wrong.... AOA hasn't done much in the Public relations department.... just recently they started putting ads in magazine.... I hope that makes a difference.

You really have to do some soul searching to see whether or not you'll be happy with a DO degree..... will you be happy the four years you'll be in an osteopathic medical school?.... if you're having doubts then I suggest you apply only to MD schools....

The most important part of this whole process is that you'll be happy with what you choose to be not because of some degree after your name...

Sorry.... I'm not going to go back and check my responses... These are just things I'm brain storming as I wait for my laudry to finish.... I'm sure, or at least hope, that others will answer your doubts.

Maybe I'll respond more later....

Good luck to you and best wishes in your decision.... :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that I can only find DO's working in poorer areas, or small private clinics in isolated regions of the country? With an exception of really hugh, prestigeous institutions or hospitals where they can afford variety of doctors.

i'm glad that you've made this observation, this contradicts that why does the majority of the physicians tend to work in wealthier and well-reconignized regions when the mission statement of medicine is to reach out and help the needy. so who is going to help the ones in poor and rural areas? THE DOs, and that's also their primary focus.

it might seem to you that DOs are hiding or not well presented. but you should also realize that it's a fairly new profession, it's currently one of the fastest growing occupation. i can't predict the future, but i believe it has great potentials to develop into a larger and better recognized organization.

it's true that there're still many areas that need to be improved in DO profession, such as research curriculum. but do keep in mind that we(doctors) are not pure scientists, we're trained professionals whose main task is to heal and take care of patients, so let's leave the research breakthrough to the PhD and other scientists. :)

don't let the media or public image conceal our true belief. i have great respect and admiration for social workers and community volunteers, but it doesn't mean that they need to be constantly publicized or living in well neighborhoods in order to earn my respect. right?

DO's are encouraged to practice in rural areas, and to work in family practice. there is no difference between an MD and a DO, except that DO's bring something extra into their practice... they know about how the body works, together.
i love the osteopathic philosophy.

how is that different from allopathic medicine? they know that the body works together as a whole. Other than OMT, I have never learned anything different than my MD counterparts at my osteo school.

Mr MD or DO:
you mentioned that you could not find one DO at NYU. why dodn't you go to the NYU website and do a search for osteopathic. you will see the many DO's professors that teach and have their practices in NYU. Maybe this will help you to clear or dissapear some of your doubts.

To say that DOs are less visible or are hiding only reveals your background. I think it depends on where you are raised or the socioeconomic status that you enjoyed. I grew up seeing DOs as "real" doctors because the only doc in our town was a DO, since most DOs focus on rural care. I heard an amusing anecdote from an elderly woman in Kirksville, MO, who said that she was 18 years old when she met a man who introduced himself as an MD. She asked him what that meant. When he said he was a doctor, she asked him if an MD was a real doctor! That was her first experience with an MD. As you can see, it all depends on your outlook. As more DO students are graduating than ever before (making up 1/6 of the total DO population), I think you will hear more of these quips!

I don't know about NYU, but the midwest is full of D.O.'s. Kansas City has a whole lot of D.O.'s. The hospitalist at the hospital I work at is a D.O.. I know a cardiologist, cardiothoracic surgeon, anesthesiologist, countless f.p's. etc......

I think it may just very from region to region.

later